Skip to main content
9. Dune by Frank Herbert

This time, I opted for a re-read on my long bus trip to Barcelona. Dune, in my opinion, is to science fiction as Lord of the Rings is to fantasy. Frank Herbert created a world that can stand entirely on its own, possibly even more so than Middle Earth, and achieves the great feat where so many authors falter: a book with rich characters that do not suffer at the expense of the plot, and vise versa.

Paul Atreides comes from a long line of honorable, loyal Atreides Dukes on his father's side and a mysterious and powerful female organization, the Bene Gesserit, on his mother's side. When their family is given the planet Arrakis, or Dune, to hold for the Empire, the only planet where the universe's most powerful commodity, the spice melange is harvested, they know it is a ploy on the part of their ancient enemies the Harkonnens, particularly the current head of the family, the diabolical Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. When inevitable tragedy strikes, Paul and his mother, Lady Jessica, are forced to brave the desert and the curious desert people, the Fremen.

On this reading, I focused on how and why Paul fulfills the legends of the Bene Gesserit and the Fremen, and how he accepts and rejects the role. I paid more attention to figuring out the fictitious origins of religions and how they are related. I also could now look at a lot of the characters with more of their histories in mind, after reading Dune: House Atreides, by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Of course, Dune was the original book, so I also think those two interpreted some of them wrong.

I'm glad Dune was still gripping to read and I could still respect the writing content and style. I think I must have been twelve the last time I read it, and it would have been a shame to lose my fond memories. Now, the only problem is I want to read the entire series again!

10. The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan

I just like each Amy Tan book I read better than the last. Even though this book reminded me strongly of the other two books of hers I have read, The Joy Luck Club and The Bonesetter's Daughter, all three concern Chinese mothers and daughters and the mother's secret shameful history of oppression, this book tied together better and held some very keen observations about life and people.

The passage that made me want to yell, "So true! So true!" was this one:

"I saw that my husband did this laughing-scaring game not just with me, but with his friends. And I also began to see that what he did was wrong, cruel, but no one else seemed to see this.

...He accused and tormented, shouted and threatened. And just at that point when you did not know which way to move, he took the danger away, became kind and forgiving, laughing and happy. Back and forth, this way and that. Of course, we were confused, fooled into thinking we always wanted to please him (223)."

Maybe it's not good, but I read Amy Tan and find her oddly comforting for moments like that, when someone else seems to understand the subtle, nasty things people can do to you with or without realizing it. Things that you feel and find difficult to acknowledge. Things that make you feel guilty, even if you don't know why. When Tan says it aloud, it's like she's releasing it for you.

I also liked the legend of the Kitchen God's wife and how this mother and daughter actually do get closer at the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge