Skip to main content

Catching Up on The List

44. Henry IV Part I by William Shakespeare

Falstaff. Prince Hal. Hotspur.

I read this a couple months ago for a class and that's mostly what I remember, these three characters. Buddies Falstaff and Hal are complex, violent, and continually at one another's throats. Both blame each other for their licentious indulgences in drink, women, and robbery and it's hard to tell who's at fault. One can't help agreeing with the earthy Falstaff's defense of living through deceit (because appearing to be alive when dead is the greater deceit) and rooting for Hal when he gets to redeem himself in battle.

Hotspur is just Hotspur, hotblooded, violent, and angry, but he makes an interesting foil for the supposedly less honorable Hal. And what does one do with a character that succeeds in battle, but doesn't know how to live without it?

I've been warned off of them, but the more of Shakespeare' s histories I read, the more I wonder why they aren't read or performed more. They're no more or less "boring" than the non-histories.

45. Every Day in Tuscany by Frances Mayes

I read this in the hospital and all I can remember is that the language was pretty. Nothing much happens in Frances Mayes' books, and they can be hard to get into, but they're just such a langourous, poetic, thoughtful joy.

46. The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente

My full review will be posted on Saturday.

47. Order and Disorder by Lucy Hutchinson

Lucy Hutchinson wrote in the seventeenth century and was among the earliest Englishwomen to be published. Only the first five cantos of Order and Disorder were published in her lifetime, a subsequent fifteen were found after her death, and at first all were incorrectly attributed to her brother (a situation that I imagine was more common than we even know). Hutchinson also wrote her own memoirs and those of her husband, who signed the death warrant for Charles I and died in prison after the Restoration.

Order and Disorder
renders the Book of Genesis into English verse, complete with Puritan judgments and reflections on the fate of sinners. The Bible, and Lucy Hutchinson, make it clear that they have it coming. Someday, somehow (and she can be very detailed about how) God's wrath and fury will destroy those who ignore his Word.

Hutchinson's vision of the Bible is not as imaginative as John Milton's Paradise Lost nor would it aspire to "justify the ways of God to man." However, her way with words is amusing (she likes the word "melting" and seems obsessed with cloud imagery) and her tone shines through in all its neurotic prissiness.

One doesn't get the idea that Hutchinson would have been a fun companion (although she seems more open in her memoirs), but her attitude makes Order and Disorder a fun read if you want to bone up on the Bible or just get a window into what it was like to be female and Puritan in the seventeenth century.

48. Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners by John Bunyan

Also read for class, I did not think John Bunyan's neuroticism was particularly fun. Hailed as a dramatic tug-of-war between God and the devil, this read like the navel-gazing of a religious lunatic.

Bunyan thinks that the devil is personally out to get his soul and to protect himself he must at times hold his own jaw to keep from swearing and relinquish his love of church bells. When he has an inadvertent thought rejecting the Savior, he fears that he has been excluded from redemption, and uses several passages from Scripture to incriminate and then eventually exonerate himself (different passages accomplished each task).

The seventeenth century Bunyan, writing from jail where he was imprisoned for his radical religious beliefs, is another one to read if you want to bone up on the Bible or if you fear that the devil is pulling at your clothes and would like a list of practices on how to encourage him to desist. Otherwise, stay clear.

Comments

Marie Cloutier said…
I'm especially interested in your review of the Valente and will try to remember to stop by to see it. I want to read her but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge