Skip to main content

Reading Challenges 2015

I don't really do reading challenges, but at the beginning of 2015, I decided to see if I completed the Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge. Later, I saw BookRiot's Read Harder challenge, and decided to see how my reading measured up with that too. I did not intentionally try to follow either challenge, and so did not entirely complete either, but I am impressed with how close I came!

Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge

1. A book with more than 500 pages: Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

2. A classic romance: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

3. A book that became a movie: I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

4. A book published this year: Against the Country by Ben Metcalf

5. A book with a number in the title: Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone

6. A book written by someone under 30: Dispatch from the Future by Leigh Stein (she was 29 when it was published)

7. A book with nonhuman characters: The Galaxy Game by Karen Lord

8. A funny book: hypocrite in a pouffy white dress by susan jane gilman

9. A book by a female author: The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant

10. A mystery or thriller: The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith

11. A book with a one word title: Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld

12. A book with short stories: Love InshAllah

13. A book set in a different country: The Creation of Eve by Lynn Cullen

14. A non-fiction book: Radical by Michelle Rhee

15. A popular author's first book: How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez

16. A book from an author you love that you haven't read yet: The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters

17. A book a friend recommended: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

18. A Pulitzer Prize winning novel: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

19. A book based on a true story: Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan

20. A book at the bottom of your TBR list: The Night Watch by Sarah Waters

21. A book your mom loves:

22. A book that scares you:

23. A book more than a 100 years old: The Bondwoman’s Narrative by Hannah Crafts

24. A book based entirely on its cover:

25. A book you were supposed to read in school and didn't:

26. A memoir: The Republic of Imagination by Azar Nafisi

27. A book with antonyms in the title:

28. A book you can finish in a day: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

29. A book set somewhere you've always wanted to go: The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri (Calcutta)

30. A book published the year you were born: The Writing Life by Annie Dillard

31. A book with bad reviews: Wild by Cheryl Strayed

32. A Trilogy: Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Sword, Ancillary Mercy (only read the last this year)

33. A book from your childhood: The Runaway Teddy Bear by Ginnie Hofmann

34. A book with a love triangle: The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall

35. A book set in the future: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

36. A book set in high school: Taming the Star Runner by S.E. Hinton

37. A book with a color in the title: Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

38. A book that made you cry:

39. A book with magic: Blood and Iron by Elizabeth Bear

40. A graphic novel:

41. A book by an author you've never read before: Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

42. A book you own but never read: The Angel’s Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

43. A book that takes place in your hometown: Digging to America by Anne Tyler

44. A book that was originally written in another language: The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

45. A book set during a Jewish holiday Christmas:

46. A book by an author who had your same initials:

47. A play:

48. A banned book: How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez

49. A book based on or turned into a tv show: The 100 by Kass Morgan

50. A book you started but never finished: American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Read Harder Challenge 2015

A book written by someone when they were under the age of 25: I'm not sure? There are soem contenders, but I'm having trouble confirming data on authors' ages.

A book written by someone when they were over the age of 65: See above.

A collection of short stories: Brave New Girls ed. Mary Fan and Paige Daniels

A book published by an indie press: Beirut Noir (Akashic Books)

A book by or about someone who identifies as LGBTQ: The Night Watch by Sarah Waters

A book by a person whose gender is different from your own: Statisticity by Yaron Glazer

A book that takes place in Asia: The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan

A book by an author from Africa:

A book that is by or about someone from an indigenous culture:

A microhistory: On the Same Track: How Schools Can Join the Twenty-First Century Struggle Against Resegregation by Carol Corbett Burris (I had to look up what a microhistory was).

A YA novel: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

A sci-fi novel: Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie

A romance novel: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

A National Book Award, Man Booker Prize or Pulitzer Prize winner from the last decade: The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri

A book that is a retelling of a classic story: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

An audiobook: The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

A collection of poetry: Lightwall by Liliana Ursu

A book that someone else recommended to you: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

A book that was originally published in another language: Nightwatch by Sergei Lukyanenko

A graphic novel, a graphic memoir, or a collection of comics of any kind:

A book that you would consider a guilty pleasure: Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

A book published before 1850: The Bondwoman's Narrative by Hannah Crafts (It was written around 1850, although not published till 2002)

A book published this year: Make Your Home Among Strangers by Jeanine Capo Crucet

A self-improvement book: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge