Skip to main content

Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts

Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts are hosted at Bookishly Boisterous.

1. I am a hoarder. It's not completely new news to me, but I was trying to get rid of more of my boxes of stuff, and...I was just getting so emotional, I couldn't. Intellectually, I know that I don't still need that red wig I used for a Halloween costume ten years ago or an entire box of notebooks from my school years or all the Disney figurines from every birthday cake I've ever had, but I can't throw it away. Not now. Not yet.

2.  Finished listening to A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers. It chronicles Sidra, formerly Lovelace, an AI illegally downloaded into a humanesque body, and Pepper, formerly Jane23, a refugee born and bred to be a factory slave. Basically, this book was written for me. I'm all about character development, and just enough plot to pull that along. Plus, space. And aliens. The only downside was that I was more into one story than the other (Pepper/Jane's fwiw), so it was kinda like A Song of Ice and Fire where I'm just like, can we skip to Tyrion already? Harder to do with an audiobook. But I've already gone back to read the first book set in the same universe, The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet. And apparently a third book comes out this year! Expecting great things.

3. Ursula K. Le Guin passed away this week. I'm reflecting on my experiences with her books, and The Dispossessed has to be my favorite, although I read the more popular The Left Hand of Darkness and The Wizard of Earthsea first. Left Hand of Darkness was a dark and confusing book to me at the time (middle-school), although I liked the idea of visiting and exploring strange new worlds, this was one of my first non-Star Trek experiences with that. The idea of a race that changes gender was also new to me at the time, but probably what I liked most about the book--I loved that you didn't have to be stuck with just one gender all the time. The Wizard of Earthsea, I read in high school, and at first, I was, like, okay, whoop-de-doo, here we go with the underdog boy urchin wizard protagonist again, but then we got to the end. And that end blew. my. mind. Then, I read The Tombs of Atuan, which I liked a lot better. And then in grad school, I read The Dispossessed. And just. Everything came together. The good/evil ambiguity. The idea of utopia. The specifics of the thought-experiment in which a utopia without individual possessions is carried out...Le Guin didn't answer any questions. She showed us our good and our bad, and she didn't tell us that we had to be good, right, perfect--if anything, she problematized the idea that good even existed by itself. And while I'm maybe not there yet, I am immensely grateful for her work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge