Skip to main content

April Wrap-Up

Books Read This Month
  1. Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
  2. The Dinner Party by Brenda Janowitz
  3. Blood of Tyrants by Naomi Novik (Temeraire #8)
  4. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
  5. Off the Sidelines by Kirsten Gillibrand
  6. Stoned by Aja Raden
  7. The Bird King by G. Willow Wilson
  8. Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman
  9. No Country for Old Gnomes by Delilah S. Dawson and Kevin Hearne
Favorite Books This Month
1. Stoned: Jewelry, Obsession and How Desire Shapes the World by Aja Raden

"Real jewels," Raden concludes, "are formed in the human mind." Raden's journey through the histories of diamonds, emeralds, pearls, and watches coalesce around the themes of "want," "take," and "have." Her assertions that jewels have changed the history of the world ring truer in some cases than others (while she makes a strong case for the influence of jewelry-centered events, I believe the French Revolution and Spanish Armada defeat would have occurred without the Necklace Affair and La Peregrina pearl, respectively). However, the stranglehold jewels have always held over human economies is loud and clear. Some bits of the book are uneven (Raden dips into the history of Marie Antoinette, Elizabeth I, and Nicholas and Alexandra Romanov, all of whom I happen to be quite familiar with), but her unique focus on distinct pockets of history, and especially her knowledge of and respect for Carl Faberge, of the famous eggs, and Kokichi Mikimoto, the father of cultured pearls, are fascinating. Raden's casual tone is also refreshingly accessible, and I have no doubt that if more history and economics books were written like this, there would be a much greater audience for them. "Stoned" respects the human mind as the most valuable of all jewels...that whose ability to spin a narrative truly does control the world.


2. The Bird King by G. Willow Wilson

"Though you have struggled, wandered, traveled far,
It is yourselves you see and what you are."
-The Conference of the Birds, as quoted in the epigraph at the beginning of The Bird King

What a delightful parable! This is my first G. Willow Wilson book, but it won't be my last. The premise, of a magical mapmaker and his friend escaping the fall of Granada, hardly does justice to the novel's captivating central pair. Fatima, a royal slave who would rather be a sultan, and Hassan, whose taste in (male) lovers is ignored due to his strategic value in creating accurate maps of places he's never seen realize how little they are truly valued by anyone except each other, and as a result, their friendship bears a greater emotional load than usual. When Hassan's skill is betrayed to the conquering Christians, Fatima helps him escape, along with help from the jinn. Hassan and Fatima, to pass the time, make up stories of "The Bird King," based on an old folk tale of which they have read only the beginning. Eventually, the island of the Bird King becomes a destination as much as a mystical journey. On the one hand, the message of The Bird King seems to be that when the world gets ugly, the best thing to do is hide and create our own little utopia. I feel that so hard, and so when Fatima and Hassan find their own little utopia, good for them, I think. But the book isn't over. This is how the dream of utopia has always worked, I think, a dream of getting away from the ugliness, but in reality, there is "no place," (i.e. u-topia) this can exist, because wherever you go, there you are. Fatima and Hassan also find that, wherever they go, there they are, and human ugliness as well as beauty finds them But it is also within themselves that they are able to, literally and metaphorically, find, and create, the island of the Bird King. 

Comments

Judy Krueger said…
Good list. I have read Mr Penumbra's. Loved it. I have also read the entire Broken Earth trilogy and am eager to learn how you found the first book.
Hi Judy, I loved the Broken Earth trilogy as well! In referring to the first book, not sure if you're talking about the Fifth Season or Born a Crime by Trevor Noah, the first book I read in April. I enjoyed the latter, although not as much as I wanted to, but still very interesting portrait of growing up in South Africa, which I knew nothing about.
Judy Krueger said…
I meant The Fifth Season. I am always curious about how other readers respond to that book.
Hi Judy, I really liked The Fifth Season. I thought it helped the reader really get to know Essun as a character. I also may have had a different experience because I had the central conceit ruined for me before I read it. What about you?

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge