Skip to main content

Top Ten Characters That Remind Me of Myself

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

Top Ten Characters That Remind Me of Myself

This is kind of the ultimate in book reading, right? At least for me, especially when I was a kid, books were a place I could go to find people like me, the people I really related to. And there were and are a lot!

1. Jo from Little Women

Jo March is a writer, she's strong, she's brave, she's a tomboy. She's everything I wanted to be. I've never been quite as angry as Jo, but I've always felt like she and I get each other on a deeper level.

2. Meg from A Wrinkle In Time

Like Jo, and unlike me, Meg is also a really angry character. I didn't quite relate to that, but I related to her as an outsider, a rebel, and someone who hated being told what to do by interfering grownups (ok, maybe I'm a little angry). Meg is also really good at math, and while I didn't identify that way, I understood being ostracized by other kids when I couldn't turn off my intellect in a way that satisfied them or when I insisted on doing work "my way" instead of the teacher's way.

Also, like me, Meg and Jo are both older sisters.

3. Hermione from Harry Potter

Almost cliche these days, but I hugely identified with Hermione as the smart girl always going to the library, and who, at least at first, cares more about research than making friends with other kids. But as she grows, like me, Hermione learns the value of friends and love, platonic and romantic.

4. Stargirl from Stargirl

More aspirational than exactly who I was, but I admired Stargirl's ability to be herself and like to think I have a little of that in me.

5. Claudia from The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Like me, Claudia is a resourceful older sister and I always liked to think I could pull off a successful runaway like Claudia does, have an adventure, and let my parents know what they were missing,

6. Elinor from Sense and Sensibility

Elinor, also an older sister, is clearly the most responsible person in this entire book, and I related to her ability to successfully take care of her mother and sisters, all while putting her own heart on the back burner, and I was happy when she finally got her age-appropriate love story.

7. Anne from Persuasion

Anne is, surprise, a younger sister, but she has more of the stereotypical traits of an older one, and at twenty-nine, is Austen's oldest heroine as well as most mature. I love the line that Anne "learned romance as she grew older," and I believe that's been true for me as well.

8. Frodo/Sam/Gandalf/Faramir/Eowyn from LOTR

Perhaps it's not surprising that I relate so heavily to characters from one of my favorite book series of all time. I love Sam and Gandalf deeply, and I also relate to them. Sam is deeply curious about the world around him he knows little about. Gandalf has made it his business to know much about and adventure around the world. Similarly, I relate to Eowyn's desire for adventure and to make a difference, and to Faramir's quest to learn and to be a better man than his brother. And finally, Frodo. I once took a which LOTR character are you? quiz, and was at first surprised that I consistently got Frodo. I relate to Frodo's love for the Shire, but also his desire to take the ring to Mordor to protect Bilbo. To his love for Sam. To his mercy for Gollum. To his ultimate inability to resist as much as he tries...and to Sam's ability to resist for him. The poignancy of Frodo's sacrifice is never lost on me, and I keep coming back to again and again, the meaning and the loss and how one is not without the other.

9. Susan from Chronicles of Narnia

I think Susan doesn't get enough love. Even though younger sister Lucy is more the main character (and I love her too), I related to older sister Susan and how she takes care of everyone, even becoming a master archer to defend her family! AND...I relate to Susan's skepticism in the later books. It's realistic, and it's okay to grow up and be part of the real world.

10. Elphaba from Wicked

Elphaba also happens to be an older sister, but I relate to her most as an outsider. I mean, Elphaba is literally green; she might as well be a no-fun genius on top of it.

Comments

Lydia said…
It's cool that you chose so many LoTR characters. Will you be watching Tolkien when it is released in the theatres in a few days? I'm super curious about that film.

My TTT.
I feel like a lot of bookworms, especially, relate with Hermione! She's basically the figurehead of our kind. xD

So much yes to Elphaba! I hadn't even thought of her, but I really related to her, too. Especially since she was in a bad situation through no fault of her own and forced to bear the sins of her parents, and while she was doing her best to do what was right, she was ostracized and hated for it. No one ever said doing right was easy.

I think the great thing about LotR is that so dang many of the characters are relatable. There's so many great ones in the series. What really strikes me about the series is that pretty much every character had something in them that I could see myself in them in some way. Even Boromir, who loved his people and was trying, in whatever way he could, to save them.

Here's my TTT post.
Judy Krueger said…
Definitely Jo from Little Women and Harriet the Spy. Also Mary in The Secret Garden.
We have quite a few in common---Meg, Hermione, and Stargirl---which is very funny and very cool!
Of all the Narnia characters, I think I'd most identify with Susan, too. Great picks!
Theaterwriter said…
I love Jo so much! Here is my post https://paigesofbook.blogspot.com/2019/05/top-ten-tuesday-characters-that-remind.html
Thanks so much for your comments, everyone!

Lydia, I'm not sure if I will see Tolkien or not. I have an old lingering fear that I won't be able to love the books as purely if it's portrayed as contextual to the author's life, but, then again, maybe that's a naive or outdated idea. I also really related to Harriet the Spy growing up and also somewhat to Mary from The Secret Garden, though even more so Sara from A Little Princess.

Sammie, yes, poor Elphie was born into a bad situation. And I do have a soft spot for Boromir as well. I don't think there's an LOTR character I DON'T relate to!

Deb, I think it's so cool that we both mentioned Stargirl. I didn't know iF I would see her on anyone else's list!

Ali, thanks! I didn't think many other people would identify as Susans! Are you also a big sister?

Theaterwriter, Jo is the best! And your name reminds me, I love how Jo is portrayed in the Little Women musical too!

Brooke Lorren said…
I like how you picked Susan. And so many Lord of the Rings characters too!
curlygeek04 said…
I've always identified strongly with Meg Murry, not only for her smarts and math skills but her anger and frustration and feeling like the odd one out in her family. I also echo the commenters who mentioned Mary Lennox. And Elinor too, for her feeling of being the responsible one.
dewisari said…
ayo bagi yg suka maen judi ayam on line
di bolavita tempat nya banyak sekali bonus2 menarik
dan game2 on line terlengakap se indonesia
dengan pelayanan 24 jam yg sangat ramah
Sabung ayam bali

ayo segera daftar dan buktikan sendiri
info lbh lanjut:

WA: +62812-2222-995

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge