Skip to main content

December Wrap-Up

For my 2020 Goodreads goal, I had set 60 books. A the beginning of the year, it didn't seem like much, since I read over 80 last year and over 70 the year before. But this year was a different year, when I went through bursts of reading and bursts of just bingeing Netflix, so I had accepted that I wouldn't meet that goal. However, on Dec 26, I realized that I had read 55 books for the year...and my friends on social media egged me on for a 5 books in 5 days challenge, which I am happy to say I completed. I read more books in December than any other month this year, I think, and I did finish 60 books in 2020, finishing up with two book club reads for January, two new books I got for Hanukkah, and a collection of children's books. 

 I bought the Rebecca collection a few years ago. I loved American Girl books growing up, and I read all of them. The Rebecca books, the first (and only, I think) Jewish American Girl, came out after I was an adult, but I wanted to read them just because I know how important that would have been for my younger self. The stories really did not disappoint. They are quite didactic, of course, but the point of these books is to teach girls about history, and it's just as didactic about life in 1915 as it is about Judaism. I guess there's no perfect way to do this. These books are aimed at young, white Christian American girls and that's maybe not the worst thing, since at least these girls are learning about other cultures and the discussion of unions and picket lines really drives home the importance of learning about American history. Like the other American girl stories, it doesn't shy away from the tough stuff, and I really appreciate that. Also, the story about Rebecca's conundrum with having to make a Christmas decoration in public school rings true. That's still happening today! 

I have more thoughts on all of the books I read in December, but we'll see if I'm able to write up something or not. A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking was hilarious fun, especially as someone who bakes. Good choice, Mom and Dad. The book club reads were sad, especially The Island of Sea Women, although I learned a lot about Jeju Island, which is currently part of South Korea, though it has its own culture, language, religion, and history. Visible City, which predictably takes place in Manhattan, was less violent, but permeated with its own melancholy, though an interesting discussion of stained glass windows. 


Books  Read This Month

  1. The Art of Gathering: How We Meet and Why It Matters by Priya Parker
  2. Detox Your Thoughts by Andrea Bonior
  3. Brave New Girls #4: Adventures of Gals and Gizmos Ed. Paige Daniels and Mary Fan
  4. Because Internet by Gretchen McCulloch
  5. Visible City by Tova Mirvis (book club)
  6. The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See (other book club)
  7. A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking by T. Kingfisher
  8. The Year of Cozy by Adrianna Adarme
  9. Rebecca (An American Girl) Story Collection by Jacqueline Dembar Greene

Comments

Judy Krueger said…
What a nice collection of books you read in December. I found The Island of Sea Women sad too. I also found it great. Yay for reading groups and friends to urge us on.

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge