Skip to main content

Question and a New Book


Today, The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios came in the mail from Bookmooch. I'm a fan of Life of Pi, so hopefully I'll enjoy Martel's earlier work.

On the other hand, I'm thinking of issuing myself a moratorium on new books. I have a few books on my shelves that I haven't read (though most don't really interest me either...) and there's always the library. I really can't afford new books in terms of space or money. Someday.

Now, to another book meme question: What is your earliest memory of reading or being read to?

To be honest, I'm not sure. My parents read to me all the time as a small child, so much so that I memorized books and thought that meant I knew how to read. I remember books like Nicholas the Bunny, Goodnight Moon, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, a book about little cats that ate cereal, and more. My mom read me the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. The first book I learned to read was about Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street, I remember struggling with it. Later, my dad and I read the Chronicles of Narnia aloud together (I had already read them), and I carried on the family tradition by reading Harry Potter aloud to my little brother.

Comments

redhead said…
what a wonderful childhood memory! they say that if your parents read to you as a young child you are much more likely to read earlier, and to enjoy reading as an adult.

I'm in the same boat you are, my parents read to me all the time when I was little. my favorite book was The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and people who i have known for a long time still make jokes about it. I think the first book I read to myself was a Berenstien Bears book.
I remember reading Eric Carle books too. I think it's certainly true that parents reading to children encourages reading, why wouldn't you want to read if you had some idea of what you could find?

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...