Skip to main content

Jewish Holiday Books

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

Holiday-themed books aren't a tradition in Judaism the way they have become in American Christianity, and they're far from a cultural phenomenon. Furthermore, December is definitely not my holiday season. Yes, we have the minor festival of Hanukkah, but if we're really talking about a season, that would have been back in September-October with the High Holidays, Sukkot etc. That said, with a bit of digging, I managed to find some Hanukkah and other Jewish holiday books! I'm excited because I've never seen those books before and I've certainly never read any (re: not a Jewish phenomenon). However, here are some of the awesome books I found for all of my fellow Jews who are hunkering down amid this month of Christian festivities in the States.

Jewish Holiday Books and Stories

Hanukkah Romances (I haven't read any of these, but I'm glad they exist)

1. Eight Kisses: Eight All-New Tales of Holiday Romance by Mindy Klasky

2. "Eight Tiny Flames" by Crista McHugh in A Very Scandalous Holiday: Anthology

3. Hearts of Hanukkah by Eve Paludan

4. Lighting the Flames: A Hanukkah Story by Sarah Wendell

5. A Whole Latke Love: A Hanukkah Short Story by Jodi Payne

Jewish Holiday Kids' Books

6. Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins (this is an old favorite picture book of mine)

7. The Mitzvah Gang and the Extraordinary Sukkah by Sarah Mazor (Jewish kids' book I found online)

8. Dreidels on the Brain by Joel Ben Izzy (a middle grade Hanukkah book)

9. Lights Out Shabbat by Sarene Shulimson

A Book I Should Probably Read

10. A Kosher Christmas: Tis the Season to Be Jewish by Joshua Eli Plaut


Comments

I've got another one for you - "Chanukah Guilt" by Ilene Schneider! My review is here: https://wp.me/pauSsa-h2
Thanks for sharing @Davida! I'm definitely interested in reading about a woman rabbi!
What a cool post! I haven't seen one like this today and it's needed.

Here are some holiday reads I would like to read: My Top Ten Tuesday.
P M Prescott said…
Wonderful list. https://pmprescottenterprises.wordpress.com/2019/12/03/top-ten-tuesday-winter-movies/
Judy Krueger said…
One of my reading groups used to read a holiday themed book in December (now we just have a party, ha ha.) Since we have a mixed group when it comes to religion we once tried to find books appropriate to Chanukah and it was tough. Thanks for doing this.
I love this list! Great selections and definitely glad to see other holidays being spotlighted! We did a take based on what characters we want to see at our holiday table because we couldn't come up with holiday books!!
Lydia said…
I really need to read Eight Kisses. It sounds delightful. :)

My TTT.
Wendy said…
Yeah, I've been thinking a bit about how much we push Christmas --even the secular components of it--everywhere, and how unwelcoming that is for others. I went with a snow/cold theme for my books.

My kids really liked the picture book Latkes and Applesauce when they were little, so that's my contribution!
Thanks so much for the kind and thoughtful comments, everyone!
Yes, a much-needed list! Thank you so much for sharing!

My TTT
Ooh, so many great picks! I like how you approached and changed this weeks topic. Thank you for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didn't

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish! I had to go back to my anticipated books of 2015 to remember this! Looks like the winners are: 1. The Mechanical by Ian Tregellis 2. Get in Trouble by Kelly Link 3. The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente 4. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear 5. Armada by Ernest Cline 6. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin