Skip to main content

Books That Should Be Adapted into Netflix Shows

 With all the Netflix watching I've been doing this summer and generally in quarantine, this should be my jam! In the past, I've probably spent more time critiquing movie adaptations and less thinking of new ones that might be mangled, but perhaps I should put my mind to adapting more books into shows, since I do think Netflix often does a pretty good job!

1. Your Perfect Year by Charlotte Lucas

This one would fit well for the first season of a show--it's got two leading characters  and a mysterious connection between them that could definitely be played up. Plus, I loved finding out what the planner was going to have Jonathan do next!

2. The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi

This one would be so much fun to see on screen. All of the heists have The Italian Job and Ocean's Eleven vibes, and it's such a lusciously described alternate history/fantasy world. It would be a wonderful opportunity to showcase all the diverse actors they would need. Finally, there's a sequel coming in what is clearly meant to be a series, so all the ingredients of successful TV. 

3. Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho

This would also fit the fantasy world vibes of other shows that I thought turned out great--Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, Carnival Row etc. Zacharias and Prunella are compelling leading characters with deep backstories that could take up episodes and there's plenty of other mystery, magic, and subplots. And of course, it's a series.

4. The Circuit Saga by Rhett C. Bruno

People went wild for The Expanse, and this reminds me of it so much, except maybe even more hopeful? It straddles the line well of being realistically grim about human nature but still holding onto that HEA.

5. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

This has already been tapped as a movie, but I think it would make a better TV show. That way, the show could follow Zelie, Tzain, and Amara's whole journey and delve further into the backstories of each of the characters. And it's at least going to be a trilogy, so room for at least three seasons.

6. The Imperfects by Amy Meyerson

I love a good story about a piece of jewelry and this has that kind of story in the present/story in the past heft to it that I think is pretty popular.

7. A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

Please, please, please. Found family and space and aliens. It's got Firefly and Farscape and Andromeda vibes in a Federation-esque universe--it would make such a good show. 

8. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

I would watch the HECK out of this--those small-town Gothic vibes and super quirky witches--there would just need to be actors that could portray the depth of the five main characters. And at least four books' worth of material to work with, plus the Ronan trilogy spinoff, if not more to come (more Gansey and Blue please!)

9. The Boy Who Steals Houses by C.G. Drews

I'm thinking of this more like a made-for-TV movie or miniseries, I don't know if there's enough for a full series, but I could see an autistic boy finding himself adopted by a big crazy family in Australia playing well on Netflix.

10. Shatter the Sky by Rebecca Kim Wells

Dragons. Also, cool fantasy world and teen LGBTQIA protagonists. Going to be at least a trilogy I think. Sold. 


Comments

Lydia said…
A Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet is an awesome choice! I'd love to see that as a film or TV show.

My TTT .
Lulu said…
The Gilded Wolves would be great! Heist shows/movies are always so fun, and you're right that it would have such an awesome diverse cast!!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...