Skip to main content

July Wrap-Up

July was a productive reading month for me! I finished Middlemarch, which I will definitely be reading again. Then, I read Blink for one of my book clubs. It isn't the type of book I would normally read, but it was interesting, even though the whole book was mainly illustrating Gladwell's two points about how instant decisions can be accurate if based in expertise but can also have dire consequences, like police shootings, if based in stereotype. Giovanni's Room is a book I've had on my physical TBR shelf for a while, and I decided to pick it up. It was totally not what I thought! It was my first James Baldwin book, and I know he was a Black gay man, so I was surprised that he's writing about two white gay men in the book. Or, well, they could be bi, since both have female lovers as well. It was a wonderful book though, highly recommend. Your Perfect Year was a fun, early #WIT read, and I'm excited to read a couple more #WIT books this month. So You Want to Talk About Race was one of my purchases for #BlackOutBestsellerList. It clarified some things and made me want to learn more. Overall, a great reading month.

Books Finished This Month

  1. Middlemarch by George Eliot
  2. Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
  3. Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin
  4. Your Perfect Year by Charlotte Lucas, trans. Alison Layland
  5. So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo

Comments

Judy Krueger said…
I recently finished a biography of James Baldwin in which David Leeming, the author, explains a lot about Giovanni's Room. Made me want to reread it.
Hi Judy, that sounds like I should read the biography!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...