Skip to main content

Books I Can't Believe I Never Read

 Hey! It's been a while. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! I think last week's topic is a bit easier so I'll take the opportunity to catch up. Still writing from my phone so sorry for the plainer entries lately!

Books I Can't Believe I Haven't Read Yet

  1. Wuthering Heights--I don't know how I never got assigned this but I somehow missed it in school and it's one of the few books I picked up as an older kid/teen that I just couldn't get through (before I embraced DNFing lol). It sounds pretty awful though so I'm not really mad but it also feels weird I've never read it.
  2. Anything by Annalee Newitz- I love everything by their partner, Charlie Jane Anders, and I love their podcast together but I haven't gotten around yet to any of Newitz's work. I just bought Automatic Noodle though!
  3. Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell--I loved Carry On and now I need to get to the rest of the series!
  4. Pachinko by Min Jin Lee--I attended and loved a talk by the author on this book and I actually HAVE THE BOOK--I just need to read it! I guess every time it just seems like a big commitment but I suspect I will love it.
  5. The Silvered Serpents by Roshani Chokshi--Again, I loved the first book in the series. I just have to--read the second book. 

Comments

Stephen said…
I own a copy of Wuthering Heights.....somewhere...and still haven't read it! Glad to see you back on the TTT.
Lydia said…
I was not a fan of Wuthering Heights at all…but I hope you have better luck with it!
Automatic Noodle is a charming read!
Thanks for sharing your #TTT
Thanks Stephen! Hope you are well!
Hi Lydia, I don't know that I plan to read it! It does not sound like I'd like it, but it certainly surprises everyone that I haven't read it!
Oh, so good to hear from someone who has read Automatic Noodle! I am sure it will be delightful
MELODY JACOB said…
Writing from a phone is a total test of patience, so massive props to you for keeping up with the book blogging community anyway! Skipping the font prompt to tackle this list is a fantastic move, and you should definitely give yourself permission to skip Wuthering Heights forever, it is essentially just a bunch of miserable people screaming into the wind, so your early DNF instincts were completely spot on. Pachinko is absolutely a massive commitment, but since you already have the physical copy and loved hearing the author speak, it is going to be so incredibly rewarding whenever you finally crack it open. Because we clearly share that same battle with our never-ending reading lists, I actually read and review books quite a bit on my blog, so please feel free to check out my latest read at www.melodyjacob.com whenever you are looking for your next page-turner.
I read Wuthering Heights in college as part of a horror course and I loved reading it in that context. :)

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...