Skip to main content

Parable of the Sower

7. Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler

Parable of the Sower has been on my reading list for a while and I picked it up recently at Capitol Hill Books, a used bookstore near Eastern Market in D.C. that really does seem to have everything.

Fifteen-year-old Lauren Olamina lives in a walled-in cul-de-sac in a suburb of Los Angeles. The few times she has been Outside, her father, a Baptist minister and other adults from the neighborhood have escorted the children in an armed group. Although her small community helps each other, attends church together, and grows their own food, outside their wall lurks a constant assault of increasingly desperate, homeless, and drug-addicted people. Money and jobs, not to mention water, are scarce and the federal government is all but defunct. State borders are heavily patrolled and the incompetent police are only available for exorbitant fees. No child has a hope of a life better than their parents, who still keep insisting 'the good times will return.' But Lauren has a dream. She invents her own religion, Earthseed, and she believes she can build a community that will be drawn together through a common goal of one day inhabiting planets light years away.

The premise of Butler's novel feels shockingly, darkly real to me. The problems of her world, caused by overpopulation, economic breakdown, global warming leading to water shortages, gas shortages, and all kinds of horrific drugs, seem extremely plausible from the vantage point of 2012. My generation is the first in decades where there is no reasonable expectation that we will achieve more than our parents did. While it may seem melodramatic in my case, I related to Lauren's insistence that it is not possible to wait for "the good times" to return. We cannot sit back and hope that the economy will resolve itself. Her "God," as she puts it, is Change. She planned for survival, for going Outside, and achieving her dreams despite the obvious danger and comparative safety of her home. While I did not find the religious verses that accompany each chapter particularly inspiring, Lauren's attitude and self-reliance I did find incredibly admirable.

Butler does not stint on realism at any point in the novel. She is all too aware of the horrors that people are capable of and how survival works in desperate situations. Nevertheless, Lauren does find others sympathetic to her, those who are worthy of the type of community she wants to build. This is a combination of post-apocalyptic/dystopian novel, survival novel, coming-of-age journey, and religious text. I wish everyone in the world would read it today and work together to prevent a world like that from happening.

Comments

Marie Cloutier said…
I'm really going to have to look for this! Sounds incredible and thought provoking.

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didn't

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish! I had to go back to my anticipated books of 2015 to remember this! Looks like the winners are: 1. The Mechanical by Ian Tregellis 2. Get in Trouble by Kelly Link 3. The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente 4. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear 5. Armada by Ernest Cline 6. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin