Skip to main content

Not So Quiet

6. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain




I've been looking forward for some time to Cain's well-publicized paean to introversion. For over a year, I've been trying to get it out of the local library and finally, my turn came around. In the meantime, I'd read the critics who said it focused too much on the business world, or overstated the barriers to introverts in pop culture. I actually think Cain covered introversion in a respectable variety of settings relevant to the contemporary American audience. And I agree that she generalizes, but even she admits that in several places. What was really, ironically, lacking from this book was a depth of focus-the very quality that Cain praises so much in introverts. In fact, the book itself is an excellent example of how the media caters to extrovert culture.

Quiet is organized into easily navigable chapters, it's filled with personal anecdotes, lists, and repetitive taglines. It's designed to catch the attention of an easily distracted mind. It covers introversion in the workplace, in education, in relationships, admirably covering all the bases-except that it covers none of them as fully as this introvert would like.

I don't mean to totally pan the book, however. I was disappointed, but I was also mollified to read about experiences that were highly relatable to me. Cain skips a full discussion of what the terms "introvert" and "extrovert" mean nowadays, and, practically, sticks to the Jungian definition. An introvert is overwhelmed by external stimuli, and recharges alone. An extrovert is energized by external stimuli, and recharges around other people. Cain drives home repeatedly the point that introverted nerd stereotypes and outgoing extrovert stereotypes are not always the case. Introverts can be gregarious, extroverts can get stage fright. It's just about how your body reacts to stimuli, but what you do about it is shaped in many different ways, especially your childhood environment. Many people who are naturally introverted are socialized to be, and outwardly appear to be, extroverts.

On Cain's list of 20 introverted qualities, I answered "yes" to 19. However, on her list of qualities associated with shyness or anxiety, I answered "yes" to less than half. I've always said I'm "quiet, not shy" and the studies Cain cites back me up! She discusses long term studies having to do with people's reaction to stimuli as infants and then their behaviors later in life. I wish she had gone more into depth on the various ranges of qualities that are associated with introversion but not necessarily the same thing.

Likewise, I really appreciated and related to the section on introverts in relationships, particularly introvert/extrovert relations. But the entire chapter was based on one amalgamated anecdote. I wish there had been more data and more honest, even if anonymous, interviews. But perhaps I'm asking for material that just isn't available.

After all, I'm glad that Quiet was written and that it's bringing attention to the potential values of introverts. I guess this was more of a book telling the world about introverts, and I was hoping more for a book by introverts, for introverts. Here's hoping.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didn't

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish! I had to go back to my anticipated books of 2015 to remember this! Looks like the winners are: 1. The Mechanical by Ian Tregellis 2. Get in Trouble by Kelly Link 3. The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente 4. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear 5. Armada by Ernest Cline 6. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin