Skip to main content

Books Read in April

I'm reading at a rate beyond blogging capacity. My reading rate vs. my blogging capacity, anyway. Between college, grad school, and adjuncting, this is the first year of the blog that I've worked >60 hours/week. Since timely reviews of all books read are no longer plausible, system adjusts will be made.

Numbers of books I've read/year is still a primary personal reason for keeping the blog, but perhaps I'll move to monthly lists and let those books that speak the most earn featured reviews. Or perhaps I'll move more toward theme posts, as that seems to be the current direction of the book blog wind.

In the meantime, some quick reviews of books read in April (May, June, and July to follow):

33. Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko



So, the first year that I don't make reading books in translation a goal, I'm on a roll with books in translation (or, at least, this is the fourth, which is better than I've done in the past few years I've been keeping track. I DO read more books from other countries in general, but they tend to be already written in English). Go figure.

Anyway, Night Watch is translated from the Russian, it's wacky, it's weird---read it for a new take on the supernatural, a Russian take on life, and a native's eye view of Moscow.

34. The 100 by Kass Morgan



One of the few books I've read because of a TV show, I enjoyed The 100 more than I expected. It's clear where the show's teenybopper roots originate, but like the show, the book's themes and characters mature into some dark and serious sci fi territory. Although the premise is the same, 100 juvenile delinquents dropped onto a post-apocalyptic Earth to determine if it's safe for the law-abiding on the space station above, the book and the show turn in different directions. Both entertain thoughtful ethical questions, and while I prefer the show, because it goes into darker, deeper places, the book doesn't slouch from social commentary. It's fast-paced, character-focused YA but with an intriguing core of ethical sci fi.

35. Course Correction by Ginny Gilder



I received this for review from LibraryThing, but I was interested under the pretense that it was about a struggle to form a Title IX rowing team. Unfortunately, I misunderstood the subtitle/summary (though I think it's an understandable mistake and likely encouraged for marketing purposes). This is the autobiography of Olympic rower Ginny Gilder, with a focus on her days rowing for Yale. When Ginny gets there, the women's team is already established. Yes, there's some tension about not being treated as well as the men's team, but really, it's about how Ginny deals with her parents' divorce and her own homosexuality. Recommended if you really like rowing or are really interested in Ginny Gilder's life, but it's a niche book that wasn't up my alley.

36. hypocrite in a pouffy white dress by susan jane gilman



A girl I knew in high school loved this book, and I've wanted to read it since I heard her extol it. In that sense, it was a disappointment, but it's still an amusing memoir about a girl growing up at an interesting moment in Manhattan history. There's also a fabulous Mick Jagger anecdote I won't spoil. Gilman will keep you engaged till the end, so if you're a fan of memoirs, here's one to check out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...