Skip to main content

September 2022 Wrap-Up

I would say it's weird to not be starting the school year this September, since my new full-time job is not in education, but I am sort of starting a school year this September--my first as a Hebrew school teacher. That is not something I ever imagined saying, but my synagogue really needed teachers, and the education director heard I was one. I told him my Hebrew isn't that great and Hebrew school was often a terrible experience for me--and he said, me too! (On the latter thing--he is very good at Hebrew). We bonded over the idea of making this a better experience for these kids, so I will try. I don't know that this is going to be a regular thing, but it's a way to help my community, stay connected to education, and hopefully give these kids better memories than I have. Anyway, with one FT job and two part-time teaching gigs, I'm not sure how much time I'll have for the blog, but I'll keep chronicling whatever non-work reads I manage to finish (will probably add some work reads if appropriate!). 


Books Read This Month

  1. I Want to Be Where the Normal People Are by Rachel Bloom--It's nice and also weird to read a memoir by someone about my age. I've only watched one episode of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend but I wanted to read the book because of the extremely '90s cover and Little Mermaid reference in the title. Entertaining for my fellow millenial theatre kids!
  2. The Book of Lost Names by Kristin Harmel--Another book club read because the last thing I want these days is another World War II read, but this is one is about a Jewish forger in France, which is slightly different, and the love story is sweet. I also love the concept of the Book of Lost Names, a way to save  the true identities of the young Jewish children as well as their lives. It reminded me of the trauma when children were separated from their parents at the U.S. border more recently.
  3. One, Two, Three by Laurie Frankel--Next month's book club read, this was the perfect read for the High Holidays, with themes of sin, forgiveness, redemption, anger, and revolution. It reads like it should be magical realism or post-apocalyptic, but it isn't--just a town where a dangerous chemical polluted the water sixteen years ago and three sixteen-year-old triplets were born and live. Highly recommend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didn't

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish! I had to go back to my anticipated books of 2015 to remember this! Looks like the winners are: 1. The Mechanical by Ian Tregellis 2. Get in Trouble by Kelly Link 3. The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente 4. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear 5. Armada by Ernest Cline 6. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin