Skip to main content

Books Read in June and July 2026

 Oops, it has been a while! Consequences of not having a personal computer, and I've had a lot going on. I did, however, read a lot in June and July, so here's the breakdown!

Books Read in June 2026

  1. The First Ladies by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray (Book club read)-- I enjoyed learning about the life of Mary McLeod Bethune and her relationship with Eleanor Roosevelt. I didn't learn much I didn't already know about the latter. I was also disappointed about how much was changed historically because I don't feel like it was necessary for this novel, but at least it was very well researched and well explained in the author's note.
  2. Game Changer by Rachel Reid--Everyone loves Heated Rivalry but Kip and Scott were actually my fave so I loved reading a book about them. Will probably read the rest of the series at some point but maybe when the craze has faded a bit more.
  3. The Greatest Sentence Ever Written by Walter Isaacson (Another book club read)--An informative and very short take on the second sentence of the Declaration of Independence, but nothing new if you took AP US History in the last 25 years or so. I did enjoy the draft in an appendix, for language nerd reasons.
  4. Swept Away by Beth O' Leary--A fortuitous Little Free Library find--one of the most engaging and compelling romances I've read in a while--highly recommend if you were/are obsessed with books about people surviving in the wilderness, like I was as a kid.
  5. Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata, trans. Ginny Tapley Takamori (Book club read)--Didn't think it would be my thing, but I actually enjoyed the character and learning about Japanese convenience store culture. It's short but the lack of chapters is a mind trip.
Books Read in July 2026
  1. The Age of Calamities by Senaa Ahmad--Wonderfully trippy short stories that take historical figures out of context. I came for the Anne Boleyn story but stayed for an anachronistic dinner at a "historian's" house and a Nellie Bly/Julius Caesar romance.
  2. A Suit or a Suitcase: Poems by Maggie Smith--I always learn more about myself or the world when I read her poems.
  3. Marked by the Fae King by Megan van Dyke--A satisfying conclusion to what may currently be my favorite romantasy series of all time.
  4. The Griffin Sisters' Greatest Hits by Jennifer Weiner (book club read)--This may be my new favorite Jennifer Weiner book. It truly captures the complications of a close-in-age sister relationship. Also a good one if you like music/behind-the-scenes stories.
  5. Automatic Noodle by Annalee Newitz--A new overall favorite--I kept complaining to my husband that it was too short! Love the robot perspective and the California/US civil war background context--just so well done. Cozy sf at its finest.
  6. The Mark by Anagha Lanjekar Sawant--So glad the author messaged me on Threads and asked me to read. Really thoughtful near future sf about what would happen if we all knew when we would die, following a cast of characters in near modern India. If that sounds interesting, I highly recommend. It's also very short.
  7.  Meet Me in the Margins by Melissa Ferguson-The first physical Goodreads giveaway I have ever won! Took a bit to get into but ends up being a pretty funny and interesting no-spice romance. The small publishing company set in Nashville and the "mystery editor" aspect were my favorite parts. We all know who the mystery editor is, but their literal on-page dialogue is so fun. 

Comments

Lydia said…
I’ve heard great things about Automatic Noodle. Glad you liked it.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...