What a cool topic! Like Jana, there was a period of time where I went to a lot of author events and book festivals. I didn't go to a lot for a while after Covid, and lately, there have been other reasons that I haven't felt comfortable going, but I have been lucky enough to meet many of my favorite living authors.
- Charlie Jane Anders-- I've actually been lucky enough to meet her twice, both times at the Baltimore Book Festival. So glad I got to chat with her, while she added some one-of-a-kind doodles to my books! 😊
- Margaret Atwood-- I got to meet her at the National Book Festival one year and got her to sign my copy of MadAddam!
- Amy Tan-- I met her at the Fall for the Book Festival many years ago!
- James McBride--I got to listen to him read at the National Book Festival one year from one of my favorite books, The Good Lord Bird, and it was a profound experience. The rain literally stopped for him.
- Maggie Stiefvater-- I got to meet her at the Baltimore Book Festival last year and she was just so funny and engaging and cool.
- Margaret George --I met her at the National Book Festival, I think the first time I ever went, and there was such a small crowd so I got to ask her how she went from her biology degree to historical fiction 😊
- Anita Diamant-- I actually met her twice, once at the Boston Book Festival and once at an event at Sixth & I.
- John Scalzi-- I heard him read and talk about his book. When the Moon Hits Your Eye at the Gaithersburg Book Festival a few years ago, and I finally read and enjoyed it this year!
- Jonathan Safran Foer-- I met him at a Sixth & I event, and one of the cool things about that is that his mom is actually on the board there, and his whole family was there to see him too.
- Leslie Gray Streeter-- So I didn't actually meet her in person, but she came to one of my book clubs on Zoom back in the Pandemic Era, and so I count this because we actually got to ask our questions and talk to her about her book, Black Widow. Even though her book is about being a widow and is therefore obviously sad, it's one of the funniest books I've ever read and I highly recommend it.
This is also not counting authors that I actually know as people, including, oddly, two of my former Hebrew school teachers--two of the few I actually liked. It might be fun to do a post on that someday.
Comments
Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!