Skip to main content

Top Ten Bookish Places I've Visited

 Here's to me having the energy to do a Top Ten Tuesday this week! Finally! I enjoyed last week's topic, plus I've visited a few of the same bookish places as Jana, so I'm using her list to jumpstart mine. 😊

White woman with brown hair standing in front of a camera, behind her are rows of shelves going up in a dome in the State Library of Victoria
Me at the State Library of Victoria in 2025
Top Ten Bookish Places I've Visited--and I hope to visit many more in my lifetime!

  1. Shakespeare & Company Bookstore in Paris, France--This was one of the highest on my to-do list when I was in Paris. I wasn't able to buy a book as I was a poor student backpacker (space being actually more of an issue than money) but I'm so glad I went! To me, it makes me think of Sylvia Beach, Gertrude Stein, Alice B. Toklas plus Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Joyce--all the Lost Generation in Paris, especially back when I idealized that more than I do now.
  2. The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City--Kid me was not very interested in museums but I always wanted to see the Met because of From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg, and I'm so glad I did that--I definitely imagined Claudia and Jamie hiding in the bathrooms and sleeping in the beds!
  3. Ernest Hemingway's house in Key West, Florida--I'm not the hugest Hemingway fan but I've read a few of his books, and his house was quite interesting, especially all the cats strolling and lounging about, many with six or seven toes, the toilet in the garden, and his writing shed.
  4. The Alcott House in Concord, Massachusetts--Not only did Louisa May Alcott and her family live here, but it's explicitly the house where Little Women is set, from Jo's writing desk (modeled on Louisa's) to the room where they performed their plays to Lou's little sister May's drawings on the walls. Plus the schoolhouse in the back where their parents taught.
  5. The Emily Dickinson House(s) in Amherst, Massachusetts--This is actually two houses, one that belonged to Emily's parents and later was used by Emily and her sister's family and the one across from it where her brother's family lived. An amazing amount of the houses are original, and the staff are incredibly knowledgeable about ALL aspects of Emily's life, poetry, and legend.
  6. The Globe Theatre in London, England--Since Shakespeare's plays were originally performed here, and maybe he wrote/improvised some here too, this counts as a bookish place to me.
  7. The British Library in London, England--I mostly remember a very old edition of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight on display. I 'd love to come back someday.
  8. The Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.--I'm lucky to have lived nearby and gone a number of times, plus gotten my Reader's Card and done some research there!
  9. The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C.--Likewise, lived nearby so attended a number of plays and exhibitions here, including seeing some of their Shakespeare first folios on display!
  10. The State Library Victoria in Melbourne, Australia--So glad I took the time to visit while I was there, a truly beautiful library and interesting collection, with a whole section on chess plus every new release you can think of, and I love that it's open to the public.

Comments

Lydia said…
Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday!

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...