Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Only the Fans Will Understand...

21. Dune: House Atreides by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson

I've been skeptical of the prequel Dune books by Frank Herbert's son and Anderson, a science fiction writer in his own right, but I liked the new Star Trek movie, so why not give the Dune "remakes" a chance?

I wasn't disappointed, this book retains all the complicated features and plots within plots of the original Dune series, and I got to meet familiar characters and learn more about the details of their histories, which are alluded to in the initial books.

The Afterword was tantalizing, as I learned that Frank Herbert had intended to continue with a 7th Dune book, and his notes and outlines were mysteriously delivered to his son from an unknown PO Box soon after his death. Before this, I had accepted that Chapterhouse: Dune was really the end, even though it ends with all the main characters shuttling off into space...

No comments: