Skip to main content
Due to a toxic mix of volcanic ash, make-up work, and beautiful beach weather, I've been neglecting to update.

My friends and I were initially stranded in Prague last Saturday, we took a train to Vienna where the airport was still open, and as soon as I had bought a flight out, that shut down too. I finally got back to Spain on Wednesday in time for all my final papers and projects. Final exams are next week.

My camera died, so I have no photos of Vienna or Prague, but both were beautiful and wonderful in different ways. I only really had a day in Prague, but I spent plenty of time, broke, in Vienna.In Prague, we did the New Prague tour run by Sandeman's New Europe. I recommend the free tour. Tip the guide at the end, he's worth it (and he'll ask you for it too).

The highlight for me was seeing the old Jewish Quarter, with the NewOld Synagogue where the Golem still lies in the attic, waiting for the day when he is needed once more. I hope that day never comes again, but still. It was also very moving to hear the guide talk about the Pinkas Synagogue, where the drawings of children from Terezin, a concentration camp that the Nazis used for propaganda. The truth is though, the Jews in the Czech Republic had it bad long before the Nazis. The ghetto wasn't opened till nearly the end of the nineteenth century. It's scary to think about.

On our way out of Prague, we saw the Jubilee Synagogue, which is the most lavish synagogue I've ever seen. It's still active, as are some of the others, but it's actually outside of the Jewish Quarter. It made me happy to see it, as I don't think a synagogue would ever be that obvious in Spain.

In Vienna, I recommend the Habsburg palaces; the Hofburg and Schonbrunn; which I really wanted to see and am glad I did. We also went to Schonbrunn Zoo, one of the world's oldest. I took the tour at the Hofburg, and my favorite part was just seeing some of the kitchen tools used and table settings and hearing about the courses they ate and how everything was decorated. There were separate pastry and confection kitchens, not to mention kitchens for individual members of the household. The Habsburgs' sheer extravagance and number of possessions is mind-boggling. I can't imagine how amazing it would have been to be a server there, or to be an assistant pastry chef...

I also recommend Nashmarkt, the open-air food market, where most of the foods were actually Middle Eastern. All of the stands sold olives, dried fruit, nuts, soft cheeses, various kinds of hummus, and falafel. There was borek, baklava, kebabs (available on every street corner just like bratwurst), and more cheeses, fruits, vegetables, and breads. I had flattenbrod, a flatbread so excellent I bought it twice. A word of advice though, Nashmarkt closes at 6:30 pm and isn't open on Sundays-along with every other grocery store in Vienna.

While stuck in Vienna, I engaged in some indulgent reading. My excuse is that these were my friend's books and I was too broke to buy any of my own. They're both series books, that I could go either way with continuing. My gut tells me they're not worth it, but something else just wants to chill out and have a little fun.

20. The Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb

A fantasy romp in an interesting world that the author has used before. The characterizations are good and you feel attached to the main characters. The plot is so-so.

21. From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris

This is the eighth book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. My only previous knowledge was that it was about vampires in the American South and the TV show True Blood is based on it. Now I feel like I know the whole series without having read the other books. That's kind of scary and I know her repeating all the plot lines would have annoyed the hell out of me if I had read the rest of the series. As it is...the narrator can be funny, which helps, otherwise it reads like the soap opera it is. Harris is good at what she does and her world is creepy and fascinating. It's just not very literary, it's all an emotional ride.

Comments

Marie Cloutier said…
I'm sorry that you didn't get any pictures in Prague but i love your descriptions :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge