Skip to main content

Book Review: The Good Lord Bird by James McBride

WARNING: Use of the n-word below, in a socio-literary context. Please do not read if this will offend you.

32. The Good Lord Bird by James McBride



Everyone seems to be comparing The Good Lord Bird to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and I will confess, when I first heard the voice of Onion Shackleford, I heard the echo of the earlier charmingly uneducated picaresque. But Onion is not just an uneducated young boy, nor just a young boy pretending to be a girl (who remembers that scene from Huck Finn?!?), he is a young boy performing both as a girl and as a Negro. And this brings something new to the performance of the novel.

McBride brings home an observation that seems like an aside in Twain. In Twain's day, he probably couldn't do more than allude to it obliquely, but McBride can spell it out to those to whom it may not occur.

There is a scene in Huck Finn where Huck makes up a story about a boat accident and a concerned lady asks if anyone has been killed. "No'm," Huck replies, then adds, "Just a nigger."

Those few words say so much. No one has been killed, just a nigger, who doesn't even count as a person. But in McBride, he elaborates on the view of that unnamed, fictional victim, how did the "nigger" feel about being a nigger? McBride writes as Onion:

"Being a Negro means showing your best face to the white man every day...You just a nigger to him. A thing: like a dog, a shovel, or a horse." (343)

If you are treated and considered as just a thing, it changes your self-presentation. You are not free to be the complicated person that you are, but instead you take on this "Negro" persona, instead you become the thing. Or rather, you act the thing. But because the whole thing is an act, acting becomes second nature. This is where it becomes clear that Onion's disguise as a girl is not merely a gimmick, but a powerful metaphor (and comment on how forced shape-shifting creates liars and tricksters):

"I'd gotten used to living a lie-being a girl-it come to me this way: Being a Negro's a lie anyway. Nobody sees the real you." (318)

There is so much more I could say about The Good Lord Bird. The voice is exquisite. Every word is precisely placed. James McBride is correct in suggesting that this is his best novel, and I say this confidently without having read all the others. But while it is in conversation with The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, it also speaks to Cervantes' Don Quixote, to Maxine Hong Kingston's Tripmaster Monkey, to many other novels about blackness and otherness and weirdness. It speaks to the history and legends surrounding John Brown, as well as Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman. It speaks to the truths and the lies that we tell each other today about race and gender and sexual orientation and being human. Above all, The Good Lord Bird is a novel that SPEAKS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...