Skip to main content

Book Review: The Queen's Lover by Vanora Bennett

8. The Queen's Lover by Vanora Bennett



Despite the generic title and that I picked it out of the bargain books at B&N, The Queen's Lover really impressed me with its depth of atmosphere and character. I've been on a Wars of the Roses kick, mostly with Philippa Gregory's Cousin's War books, and The Queen's Lover smoothly fits in the historical overlap between the Wars of the Roses, and The Hundred Years' War between England and France. At the center of both is Catherine de Valois, the French princess turned English queen who embodied the English claim to the French throne, and later, the Tudor claim to the English throne.

Although the title character is "The Queen's Lover," and the book does begin with Owain Tudor, Catherine's future lover and grandfather of Henry VII,this is a book about a heroine. Surprisingly and delightfully, much of the first part of the book focuses on Christine de Pizan. I am familiar with Pizan as a writer, but apparently she was also a significant figure at the French court. Having been raised along with Catherine's father, King Charles, and his brothers, she became a caretaker for some time of the younger royal children. Under the conceit that Owain is housed with Christine during a parley between English and French forces, Bennett proceeds to explore Christine's world, books, and thoughts quite thoroughly. Bennett's Christine is an intriguing character, loyal and passionate, intelligent and fearful. And not a little vain. Bennett's Owain is an eager student, awed with early modern Paris and struggling to overcome the complications of his Welsh royal heritage. But more intriguing than Owain is the princess in rags that Christine so lovingly cares for.

According to the novel, Catherine and her younger brother Charles were neglected at the French court, left with old clothes and not regularly fed. I don't have a sense of the historical accuracy of this portrait, but it is a different one from later periods. It is possible that the late Middle Ages were more chaotic than the emerging early modern period, and that that chaos extended to less oversight for royal children. Catherine more than once escapes from the palace on horseback. But then, there are accounts that claim she was locked up, to preserve her virginity for Henry V. In any case, in this version, Catherine is faced with pitiful choices, and takes her fate into her own hands. As a heroine, she is sometimes infuriatingly naive, but satisfyingly adventurous and even impulsive.

As Bennett points out in the author's note, Catherine is a much-maligned character, a queen who "turned her back" on her royal blood to marry the steward of her house. Of course, as the Tudor monarchs would emphasize, Owain was descended from Welsh royalty. But in the time she married him, that counted for nothing, or was even more shameful than marrying a nobody. Who was this woman, who could make such a bold, such a defiant choice-and get away with it? Bennett's Catherine learns an important lesson, with the help of her mischievous mother, Queen Isabeau, that if she seeks what she wants, she may just get it. And, unbeknownst to her, she founded a royal house with its own share of renegades.

I enjoyed the extensive historical notes and sources at the back of the book. The feel of the book was well-researched, and that confirmed the feeling. I definitely intend to read more of Bennett, she has a more careful, considered quality than Gregory, but her characters are just as memorable and complex.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge