Skip to main content

Top Ten Characters I Would Want to Be for Halloween

Happy Top Ten Tuesday!

True story: I have dressed up as most of these characters at one point or another.

1. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter

I never actually dressed up as Hermione, but I always thought I looked way more like her than Emma Watson did. For one thing, I have DARK brown hair, and for another, my hair is/was actually messy most of the time.

2. Jo March from Little Women

I have dressed up as Jo. With a patch on the back of my dress. Nobody got it.

3. Eponine from Les Miserables

I did this in middle school. Suffice it to say, NOBODY got it.

4. Arwen from Lord of the Rings

I've been told I look kinda like Liv Tyler?

5. Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation

So, not a book character, but I acquired a Data mask at a Star Trek exhibit at a young age, and my sister and I went trick-or-treating as Worf and Data respectively. The best, most appropriate costumes for elementary-schoolers.

6. Captain Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager

Also not a book character, but when I reprised my role as Data for a Science Theme Day this past summer at camp, a fellow teacher told me she had once dressed up as Janeway. And I wish I had too.

7. Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter

I'm not a blonde, but I've definitely got the dreamy, far-off stare. And then I could wear really weird things like griffin hats.

8. Elphaba from Wicked

From the book, before it was a musical. I painted my face entirely green, and there's a prominent photo in my high school yearbook. The only time I was ever pictured outside of the standard photo. Not to brag, but the next year, I saw a couple of younger girls with green faces and witches' hats. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

9. The Wizard Samarkar from the Eternal Sky

Haven't done this yet, but a strong woman in wizard's robes sounds up my alley.

10. Hrahima from the Eternal Sky

I'm not sure how I would do this, but it would be cool to be a tiger-woman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...