Skip to main content

Book Review: All Roads Lead to Austen by Amy Elizabeth Smith

7. All Roads Lead to Austen: A Yearlong Journey with Jane by Amy Elizabeth Smith

Professor Amy Smith takes a year of sabbatical to travel throughout South America and read Jane Austen novels with local book groups along the way. Her purpose is to determine whether South Americans relate to Austen as much or more than Brits and Americans, due to their current cultural similarities and differences with Austen's time. In my mind, it's a strange proposition in the first place and doesn't seem to make much sociological sense, but Smith cites Azar Nafisi's Reading Lolita in Tehran as inspiration, and it's clear she wants an excuse to both read Jane Austen and travel in South America for a year, so she decides to make a book of it.

Honestly, the most interesting parts of the book to me were the chances to "travel" to places I've never been. Smith also makes a point of learning about the literature of each country she visits, which was interesting to me. However, I was disappointed that only three of Austen's books are covered, and my favorite, Persuasion, isn't even mentioned. Also, a couple of Smith's attitudes about Austen really irked me. Not because there's anything wrong with her opinion, but I strongly disagree with her! First, it's clear that Pride and Prejudice is her favorite Austen book. Fine. I love Pride and Prejudice too and it's indisputably the most popular. But Smith goes so far as to say flat out that Sense and Sensibility is not as good. A reader in Mexico asks her if Sense and Sensibility is as good as the P&P movie, and Smith responds in the following manner:

No, I was thinking. No it's not. "Yes, it is," I said. "But it's...different. It's a little slower at the beginning." In other words, no, it's not. (Smith 73)
I like Sense and Sensibility more than Pride and Prejudice. Although I love Elizabeth, I identify far more with Elinor, and I like Elinor and Marianne's relationship far more than Elizabeth and Jane's. Furthermore, S&S has the decided advantage of not containing any insufferable Mr. Darcy's--which brings me to my next issue with Smith.

Smith, somewhat forcefully, seems determined to incorporate her own love story into the book. (SPOILERS AHEAD). Unfortunately, just like most Austen-inspired fiction writers, she decides she needs a Mr. Darcy. And gosh darn if she doesn't get him! Although she has an incredibly sweet lover in Mexico who nurses her through dengue fever, she throws him aside for an unpleasantly tempered bookseller in Buenos Aires. Of course, her love affair is up to her and I have no doubt that, as she claims, she's more satisfied with her choice. Towards the end of the book, she asks herself, "Which one is Mr. Darcy...and which is Mr. Bingley?" (350-351). She describes the two men:

Mr. Bingley is relentlessly cheerful. He looks for the best in everyone...The right fit for Mr. Bingley was sweet, good-natured, passive Jane...[with her Mr. Darcy] I could be my neurotic, judgmental, and cranky self...because he was prideful, combative, and grumpy himself (351).
I can't pretend to understand. If I had to choose between Darcy and Bingley, I would pick Bingley every time. Better a man who's cheerful and kind than prideful and grumpy, no matter how understanding of others' grumpiness. If that makes me a Jane, so be it! But I don't think it works that way anyway. Even an Elizabeth could get along with an even-tempered man, and fortunately, we don't have to choose between kindness and intelligence, generosity and the other qualities that are supposed to redeem Darcy.

Overall, an interesting read, but Austen fans of my persuasion: prepare to be bemused. Darcy fans--get ready to swoon, I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge