Skip to main content

Reflections on North and South

As I commented before, North and South is like a less sparkling, more political Pride and Prejudice. Margaret Hale and Mr. Thornton are more muted, but also more thoughtful, characters than Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. While Jane Austen concentrated on her "little bit of ivory," Gaskell tackled social inequalities head-on, and through her characters, expresses the disparate political opinions of poor and rich, and ventures to propose compromises between them. It's really quite revolutionary work, and I wonder if anyone at the same time was writing anything quite like it. 

I've also read Gaskell's Cranford, which similarly exposes social inequalities, but although it's possible to sympathize with the ladies of Cranford, one always feels they are being mocked almost as mercilessly as those who oppress them. Margaret and Mr. Thornton, however, are real people, not caricatures. Although North and South does take a more conventional romantic plotline, it seems hardly the point. All the action of the book is about religious, financial, and political tensions--Gaskell doesn't even bother to end with a marriage. 

It is the reality of this book that gets to me. There are some lines that ring more true than almost anything I've read. For example, when Margaret contemplates her proposal experiences (to which, she does not react as violently as Miss Bennet), "Margaret began to wonder whether all offers were as unexpected beforehand--as distressing at the time of their occurrence, as the two she had had." This seems like a natural wonder for an inexperienced young lady of the time. 

Later, after Margaret has had to spend much time caring for her father after her mother's death, she feels relief when he goes to visit a friend: "It was astonishing, almost stunning, to feel herself so much at liberty; no one depending on her for cheering care...she might be idle, and silent, and forgetful,--and what seemed worth more than all the other privileges--she might be unhappy if she liked." This seems such a natural feeling for someone who has had to care for others after a loss, yet it is not one that many would either want to express or be able to express as fully as Gaskell does here.

For thorough explanations and thoughtful reflections on what it means to be rich and poor, and how industrialization affected those dynamics, wrapped up in a compelling narrative and character arc, I highly recommend North and South. And now I can get around to watching the movie(s). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...