Skip to main content

Magazine Reading and What I've Been Up To

This year, I decided to get a subscription to The Economist. It felt  important to me this year especially to stay on top of national and international events (although things have been happening faster than I could have anticipated...). In the past, keeping up with a weekly subscription has been too much for me, but I got the idea from Gretchen Rubin's Better Than Before that "we manage what we monitor," so I created an Excel spreadsheet to track my magazine reading since I couldn't find any on the interwebs.

Also, I've previously used this blog to keep track of my reading, but now I prefer to use it to reflect on my reading (and life). Instead, I've (finally) joined Goodreads to track reading. I wish one could track magazine, article, short story etc. reading as well--does anyone know of a website/app for that? Let me know if you find one!

Anyway, I'm reading The Economist weekly now and I feel much better informed about the world--I keep telling my fiance--did you know there were prison riots in Brazil? Did you know that the president of Gambia was ousted?--and he's just like, yeah, because he's a news junkie and knows everything, but whatever. Obviously, though, the biggest story here is our own new regime. I do seriously feel like I'm living in a dystopian novel. So, here are the reasons I haven't been updating:

This is the baby we spent about 7 hours with at the march.
Other women helped the mom hold and change her.

  1. I've been marching. I was one of the at least half a million people who marched on Washington the day after the inauguration. It was amazing. I woke up at 3:30 am and got to the stage around 6 am. I ended up standing/walking for 12 hours, including an hour on a broken down Metro train (and overall I thought Metro did a fantastic job, it was just too much), and I don't regret one second. I would do it again. And probably will.
  2. I've been on vacation. Last weekend, the fiance and I took a much-needed weekend off--and came home to everyone rightfully protesting at the airports. I'm glad refugees, immigrants, and lawful residents are getting through again, but this is unacceptable. This is not about protecting our country. We should be welcoming people who have already been thoroughly vetted and waited years to legally come to our country. I wouldn't be here today if my family hadn't been accepted as refugees from Germany in 1939---NO HATE. NO FEAR. REFUGEES ARE WELCOME HERE.
  3. I've been sick. It started Tuesday evening, and I've been a mess since. Constant fever, sneezing, sore throat. The symptoms are finally starting to get better, but it also kind of keeps going back and forth. I apparently don't have the flu, just a nasty upper respiratory infection, but the constant fever is worrying me. 
Still reading The Case for G-d by Karen Armstrong, and kind of wish everyone would read it. If everyone just read this book, I feel like they would finally understand that the Bible was never meant to be taken literally, Islam is not terrorism, and everyone should really just take a chill pill on the whole religion thing (I'm talking atheists and evangelicals alike). Also, feeling connected to the roots of what I've always believed Judaism to be--about questioning the texts and faith, but not letting that sever your connection to rituals, practice, family, or community, and about kindness to others, overall. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge