Skip to main content

Top Ten Books I Can't Believe I Read

Happy Top Ten Tuesday at That Artsy Reader Girl!

Top Ten Books I Can't Believe I Read

1. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy


I read War and Peace. I know I read it because it took me a whole summer. Darned if I can remember anything but sleigh rides, balls, and the fact that there was a general.









2. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

Urgh. It's been (12!) years since I read this, so maybe I'd think differently now, but I remember finding the narrator incredibly pretentious and condescending. I only finished it because I had to read it for a class (and got into a huge argument with my teacher about it). I met Dave Eggers once at a reading, and he came off as a really nice guy and his other books all sound better, but honestly, I haven't been able to bring myself to read any.






3. Pamela by Samuel Richardson


WORST. BOOK. EVER. I literally threw this book across a room. The sexual consent issues in this book drive me batty. It is about a female servant who is constantly pursued and frequently threatened with rape (like, she is once held down while he is about to rape her) from her master--and then, and then -T_T-she marries him! And it's all okay! And, worse, this was apparently super-popular in the eighteenth century and held up as a tale of "virtue rewarded," like, if you hold out on your rapist, don't worry, he'll marry you! T_T Needless to say, read for eighteenth century Brit lit class.



4. Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe

Also from my eighteenth century Brit lit class (for whatever reason, the 1700s were the worst century in traditional classic Brit lit), and also with some (less) effed up sexual mores, my biggest problem with Moll Flanders wasn't the story but the formatting. We had the original formatting, and spoiler alert, not only did 18th century writers like to get cute with capitalization , but PARAGRAPHS DID NOT EXIST. And CHAPTERS DID NOT EXIST EITHER. It was difficult, but I made it through, and honestly, with some proper formatting, it could have been quite an entertaining story.



5. Moby-Dick by Herman Melville

I started reading Moby-Dick in middle school, and couldn't get through it. I really wanted to, because I had heard it was the most boring book ever, and I wanted to prove I could read it (#WeirdKidGoals ftw). Fortunately, senior year of high school, I had a professor who wrote her dissertation on Moby-Dick and delighted in assigning it to us. Spoiler alert: I don't agree that it's the most boring book ever. With proper guidance, I learned to love it and have extremely fond memories (and yes, I got through the whole thing!)





6. Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville

I have less fond memories of Bartleby (though "I prefer not to" is one of my favorite phrases), mostly because, by the end of college and grad school, I had to read it at least three times, and there' s just so much insight on apathy you can have.







7. Benito Cereno by Herman Melville

In one of the classes that also assigned Bartleby, I had to read (and lit critique) Benito Cereno. Even though it's a novella, it's dense, and ugh, there is only so much foreshadowing I can take. I get it, the black men are plotting to kill the white men. Oooo. Scary. (Not to mention that, um, they were sold into slavery and just trying to regain their freedom? Totally evil, right?). Also probably colored by the fact that I thought the assignment was contrived and did not see eye to eye with the instructor. But. Not a fan.





8. The Odyssey by Homer

Oh, the Odyssey. Oh, the pink fingers of Dawn. Oh, Odysseus, the devilish trickster who abandons and cheats on his wife and then comes home, like, I'm in charge, so let's kill a bunch of unmarried women for having sex with unmarried men, because that's worse than what I did. Between middle school, high school, college, and grad school--I've read it, or versions or excerpts thereof, four to five times. I've written at least four papers that somehow involved it. I find it long and infuriating, but still, obviously, there is so much to parse, and so much that's had such an influence in Western literature and culture. And I still can't believe the number of times Dawn rises with pink fingers.


9. The Iliad by Homer

I've read the Iliad maybe twice, and find it quite charming in comparison to the Odyssey. Part because it has a neater central conflict and arc, and largely because of the characters, like Achilles and Hector, that I find actually sympathetic. Still, it's Homer, and I got through it (and I didn't have to read it as much as the Odyssey!).






10. Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov

Ugh. I read this book because a girl I knew in high school liked it, and I read the whole darn thing in search of why. Nope, I never got it. This book made me sick to my stomach. I found Humbert Humbert revolting. I did  not sympathize with him for a second. Nabokov can write, I will give the man that, but do you want to be known for writing exquisitely lyrical prose about a gross child molester?

Comments

Definitely some books on your list that are not for the faint of heart or those with short attention spans! It's really a very impressive list!

Visting from TTT
lissa said…
'Pamela' sounds like a horrible book. I would definitely not read that one.

so many classic books on this list I'm pretty sure I would never read especially 'lolita', I don't get why people like it. I'm sure the writing is wonderful but the story is just too disturbing to read.

have a lovely day.
@Ericka-Thanks! Mostly reads from school that definitely taught me a lot, one way or the other!

@lissa Glad to save you from Pamela! Although I get that it's important to remember as a marker of how far we have come, I don't think it's necessary for most people to read the whole thing!
I’ve decided I’ll never read Lolita. Pamela, too, sounds awful. Not exactly politically correct. Or any sort of correct.

My brother decided to reread Moby Dick after he retired. He’s been reading on it for a year. Every time I see him, he moans about Moby Dick.
@Deb As someone who loves Moby-Dick, if he's been moaning about it for a year, I don't know if it's worth it! Unless he enjoys moaning about it? Maybe he can find an online community to discuss it?

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge