Skip to main content

January 2022 Wrap-Up

 I definitely get a new rush of reading energy in with the new year. It helps that the nature of my work is often slow or nonexistent in January, so I have plenty of time for reading. 


Books Read This Month

  1. The Babysitters' Coven by Kate M. Williams--extremely meta cross between The Babysitters' Club and Buffy the Vampire Slayer with a very Gen Z nonviolent code--much to love!
  2. The Matzah Ball by Jean Meltzer--the most amazing Jewish rep and the only chronic illness rep I've ever read wrapped up in one entertaining yet satisfyingly thoughtful Hanukkah romance story. Also, in case this is also you, even the Christmas content, which annoyed me reading the blurb and almost put me off reading it--because really, we need that even in a Hanukkah novel?--ended up making sense and not being annoying.
  3. The Leavers by Lisa Ko--very important story about children left behind when parents are deported; sensitively explores issues of ethics around adoption and immigration without being didactic
  4. Upright Women Wanted by Sarah Gailey--This flew by, and felt more like a novella, but it was fun reading a post-apocalyptic Western entirely centering queer women (and librarians). 
  5. Miss Benson's Beetle by Rachel Joyce (book club)--An odd-buddy journey to New Caledonia in the 1950s--I loved the characters, the travel, the beetles--so much great beetle info, funniest birthing scene I've ever read. In my opinion, it had more death and grief than necessary but still a fun read.
  6. The Rabbi Who Prayed With Fire by Rachel Sharona Lewis--Like the author, I serendipitously discovered Harry Kemelman's Rabbi Small mystery series from the 1960s and '70s at a used book sale a few years ago. Lewis updates the genre with a young queer female rabbi at a Conservative synagogue set in present-day Providence, RI. For better or worse, this book made me feel totally at home!
  7. This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel (other book club)--This got rave reviews, which I think were totally deserved. It's about a family whose youngest child is trans but really it's a novel about parenting and all of the unique kids and parents in the book, Felt very real. Also, they're Jewish, which only matters in like 5 sporadic references including a reference to the Talmud on the first page. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...