Skip to main content

Book Review: The Temple Scroll by Erez Hassul

 

A man stands inside a cave, hands on hip, wearing a wide-brimmed hat, from behind,  while another man rappels down above him.
Full disclosure, I'm related to the author, but I truly enjoyed this Israeli Indiana Jones-type adventure centered on a research group at Hebrew University: history grad student Yaeli, chemistry grad student Nathaniel, rappelling expert/desert guide Yoav, and Professor Reuveni, who discover a mysterious rebellion-era scroll that may lead them to the long-hidden treasures of the Second Temple. This is a Da Vinci Code with more relatable characters and more realistic history. Where it does diverge from history into action, and the requisite villainous secret society, the text remains humorously self-aware. There is a special starring role for Yaeli's Canaan dog, and this wouldn't be a book by my family if there weren't several recipes, including almost an entire chapter (two pages, to be fair) about cooking a chicken. My cousin's knowledge as a geologist and former tour guide shines brightly in a series of interspersed vignettes from various time periods detailing the story of the scroll, which never overshadow or distract too much from the contemporary storyline. One also never misses the perfidy of the Roman soldiers, always sure to be barbarously chewing on some iteration of pork. This archaeological quality of  storytelling resembles a Michener novel, though thankfully shorter and faster-paced. Although the ending is a bit abrupt, I certainly wouldn't mind spending more time with these characters in a sequel. Highly recommended to fans of Israel, the Dead Sea Scrolls, ancient history, mystery thrillers, and/or Canaan dogs. Or if you want a delicious chicken recipe or two. 

You can purchase the book here; I do not receive any commissions :-P

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...