Skip to main content

Books Read in March 2026

Happy Passover to my fellow celebrants!

My favorite read this month is not at all what I would have expected. I was really looking forward to Yerba Buena, by one of my favorite authors, Nina LaCour, and to reviewing The Magic Seeker by another one of my favs, Jane Buehler. And while I absolutely enjoyed those, it was My Friends that still has me thinking. Maybe I like literary fiction again?!

Books Read in March 2026

  1. The Magic Seeker by Jane Buehler (eARC book review)-The 6th book in the delightful cozy fantasy romance Sylvania series. See my review here
  2. Gold Coast Dilemma by Nana Malone-Picked up this literary romance for my birthday and so glad I finally read it. "Gold Coast" is misleading since it's set mostly in NYC but "Crazy Rich Ghanian-Americans" gives you a good idea and frankly it's the most realistic depiction of someone in the publishing business I've ever read since the protag, Ofos, is openly supported by her parents/trust fund and therefore I had to suspend no disbelief about her career.
  3. In Love: A Memoir of Love and Loss by Amy Bloom (Book club read)--A short memoir about accompanied suicide--the prose is spare and easy to read, not overly sentimental. I would never have chosen to read this, but it was interesting, though it mostly made me angry that more compassionate options aren't more readily available.
  4. My Friends by Hisham Matar (Other book club read)--Another book I would never have read on my own, but I ended up really appreciating. The book is supposedly about the narrator's friends, but it's really about the enforced absence of family, as, due to an event in his youth, he is stuck in exile in London for the rest of his life. It's a fascinating reflection on the nature of exile, particularly that of Arab writers in London. The author as well as the narrator is from Libya, and the novel, which spans the 1980s to the 2020s, is based on actual historical events during and after the Qaddafi regime. 
  5. Yerba Buena by Nina LaCour (yet another book club read)--I really loved her book We Are Okay and was excited to read her first adult novel. It was really not a book for this particular book club, but they were good sports about it!
  6. Steeped in Suspicion by Kirsten Marion (LibraryThing book review)--Cozy low-stakes fantasy mystery. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...