Skip to main content

Book Review: The Magic Seeker by Jane Buehler Coming March 17, 2026!

The Magic Seeker: A Fairy Tale with Benefits (Sylvania Book #6) by Jane Buehler

Release Date: March 17, 2026

*Added on March 17* Links to Buy: The Magic Seeker a book by Jane Buehler - Bookshop.org US

The Magic Seeker: A Fairy Tale with Benefits (Sylvania Book 6) eBook : Buehler, Jane: Kindle Store

 I've read almost all of Jane Buehler's Sylvania series at this point, and I love them all. There's something so entirely healing in her quiet and simple fantasy world that's transitioning from monarchy to democracy in both the human and fairy worlds. This is the tough part that few series like to depict, and yet, this is one of the softest fantasy series I've ever read--and I mean that in an entirely positive context.

Each book is centered around one or two characters and a central romance. Although understanding the context of the world makes each book richer, for most of them, I would say you can read them as a standalone. The Magic Seeker, book 6, is the first one where I would recommend reading some of the other books first, particularly the first book in the series, The Forest Bride, and/or the book immediately preceding this one, The Fire Apprentice.

Snowdrop is a quiet character, who's been in the background of others' stories. She is the only daughter of the deposed fairy queen who initiated the central trauma of many characters: sending fairy men to impregnate human women and then steal the half-fairy children. Snowdrop was as much a victim as anyone else, raising and caring for these stolen children while her mother used them as servants. But she feels complicit and she doesn't feel safe or welcome in fairy or human society. This is the story of her gradually coming out and taking her place in the world, learning to form connections even when she's scared.

Buehler also, in all of her books, deals with sex, or what in Sylvania they call 'tumbling' in such a delightfully frank and straightforward way, and here is no exception, except that Snowdrop is on the ace, or asexual, spectrum. Buehler depicts Snowdrop's version of sexuality with her characteristic candor, and while that does involve some sexual activity, it's validating to have a version of that on the page, especially in a fantasy world. 

Buehler also expands on the magic system from earlier books, like the power of fairies' name plants, and what exactly was going on with that herd of buffalo! She also deftly deals with the conundrum of where the 'power' to use magic comes from and how it interacts with nature. There's a scene involving bats that still has me laughing. I'm excited for possible romances for characters like the astute Nem, who appears in this book as well as The Woodland Stranger, and just overall excited for this series to continue to develop.

If you like cozy fantasy, I highly highly recommend this series, and if you like romance, I recommend it as an easy gateway into fantasy. We all deserve some softness in this life, and the Sylvania series has a soft (but far from toothless) world for you to land, and face your fears. 

Received for review from the author via Booksirens; all opinions are my own!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...