Skip to main content

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday!

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

  1. Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're in luck, 'cause there's tons of books for you!) And yes, I hold more space for "morally grey" women characters because they tend to be in situations where they have to kill or betray to survive and that's different.
  2. Phrase: "Fae." My Reaction: Hmmm. Why?: My reaction to this phrase has changed over time. I used to be all in on fae or faerie books because it was much more rare and was an exciting antidote to all the vampire and werewolf books. Now, the market is oversaturated with fae, and while I still enjoy it sometimes, it's not as much of a kneejerk "yes please!" as it used to be for me.
  3. Phrase: "Forbidden Romance." My Reaction: Hmmm. Why?: I can enjoy a good forbidden romance, but I feel like the more of these I read, the higher the bar for plausibility. Like, you really can't marry that guy *for reasons* but you're a powerful queen who has an army? Or, ok, your families hate each other because his dad insulted your mom that one time, but, like, you're the same social class, and your families aren't in the streets beefing, so...? 
  4. Phrase: "Unreliable Narrator." My Reaction: Intrigued. Tell me more. Why?: I love a good, chatty intrusive narrator, like in Don Quixote, or an extremely in-her-head first-person POV, like Katniss in The Hunger Games. So, I can be a huge fan of unreliable narrators...BUT I don't tend to like it when the narrator is an outright criminal, like the narrator is the serial killer feels gimmicky, and the narrator is Humbert Humbert feels like I need to take a shower after reading.
  5. Phrase: "Found Family." My Reaction: Yes please! Why?: I've always had this strong pull toward found family stories. Becky Chambers' books. The orphans in Oliver & Company. Charlie Jane Anders' Unstoppable trilogy. Maybe it's because I grew up watching Star Trek and Friends and Seinfeld. Anything with "found family" will get at least another look from me.


Comments

Veros said…
Yeah, I think morally grey was an interesting concept until it got overused and the meaning of it got twisted. I don’t love that either 😖 . I also have a soft spot for found family in books! Thanks for visiting my blog!
Rebecca said…
I'm wondering if this, "Phrase: "Found Family." My Reaction: Yes please! " will be a universal thought this week.

Great way of listing the options!
Lydia said…
I love the found family trope!
I'm not surprised, but glad to see "found family" is a popular one! I agree, Rebecca, I wonder if everyone likes "found family" or if there's someone out there who doesn't?! Thanks, everyone, for stopping by!
Yes, agreed, if "morally grey" really meant what it said I'd be more interested but I'm just not interested in the "I fell in love with a serial killer" fiction that it's become code for.
Harlow Rose said…
I adore found family books too! One of my favorite tropes too!

Here's my TTT: https://readintowonderland.blogspot.com/2026/03/t10t-buzzwordsphrases-that-make-me-want.html
Harlow Rose said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marianne said…
Some interesting subjects there, Miriam. I think I try to avoid some of them, as well. And I liked how you only did five of them. Sometimes ten are just too many.
Thanks for visiting my post:
https://momobookblog.blogspot.com/2026/03/top-ten-tuesday-buzzwords.html
Susan said…
I also like a good found family story. I'm on the fence about unreliable narrators. When done well, I enjoy these types of stories, but so many of them are not done well. Boo hoo.

Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!
I like a bad boy that walks the line a little, not one that strolls past it.
Thanks for sharing your #TTT

Popular posts from this blog

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...