Skip to main content

Book Review: The Fire Apprentice by Jane Buehler--Coming March 18, 2025!

Cover of The Fire Apprentice by Jane Buehler
The Fire Apprentice by Jane Buehler
(Sylvania #5) 
Release Date: March 18, 2025
I previously reviewed The Village Maid and The Woodland Stranger for LibraryThing, both of which I loved, especially the latter. When I heard that Jane Buehler had another book coming out in the cozy fantasy romance series set in her bucolic land of Sylvania, I knew I wanted to review it! Sadly, it wasn't on offer from LibraryThing at the time, so I appealed directly to the author, who kindly sent me an eARC (and it sounds like her books will be back on LibraryThing's Early Reviewers soon as well). 

Jane, the female protagonist, is a character that was introduced briefly in earlier books. Like all of the books so far, you could read The Fire Apprentice as a standalone and wouldn't miss out on any of the present story. However, if you want a fuller picture of Sylvania, the different human and fairy (and dragon!) cultures, and the interrelationships between the sets of characters in each of the books, reading the whole series is enriching as well as just fun and satisfying. 

Rowan, the male protagonist, is a new character even to a reader of the series. He's a fairy posing as a blacksmith's apprentice to check up on Jane, whom he feels guilty about because he provided the love potion that allowed another fairy to seduce her and steal their child. Jane and her daughter, Elle, are living with other women duped by fairy men, along with their now-rescued half-fairy children, at the beginning of the book. But things take a swift turn when a dragon swoops in, stealing Elle, and throwing Jane and Rowan together on a journey to bring her back.

I love how Buehler dispenses quickly with the call to action, so the reader can focus on the characters, and their urgency to figure out how to trust each other with Jane's young daughter at stake. It turns out that Rowan knows more about dragons than he's letting on, and also that Elle may be safer than one would guess. In fact, Jane may have an altogether different dilemma than the one she thought--every gentle twist is designed to tease out the nuances of these characters--not just their trauma, but how they've grown from their past, and how they will grow toward each other over the course of the book.

The pun-ny guessing game of who actually is "the fire apprentice" never got old for me throughout the book--the natural guess changes from beginning, middle, to end, and all of our characters learn more about dealing with (literal and metaphorical) fire, dragons, and themselves. The portrayal of dragons is different from what I've seen in other fantasy books, and nicely fits the cozy yet sometimes tumultuous Sylvania world. 

Finally, the book deals beautifully with issues of chronic pelvic pain and vaginismus, which is something I don't think I've ever seen in any book, romance or not (Kissing Kosher by Jean Meltzer deals with chronic pelvic pain but not vaginismus), and presents solutions that are rooted in Jane's as well as Rowan's desires and creativity. 

Noting the above, I wouldn't read this if you don't like open-door romance, but if you do, and you are looking to curl up with a cozy romantasy by a fire this late winter/early spring, I highly recommend The Fire Apprentice.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didn't

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish! I had to go back to my anticipated books of 2015 to remember this! Looks like the winners are: 1. The Mechanical by Ian Tregellis 2. Get in Trouble by Kelly Link 3. The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente 4. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear 5. Armada by Ernest Cline 6. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin