Skip to main content

Books Read in February 2025

Oof. It has been a month, a year, an eternity. A lot of books I enjoyed this month, thank goodness. And I read straight through into March and already have a couple books done for that month. It has been that kind of a year so far. I enjoyed getting to share a lot of these reads and would love to hear your thoughts if you've read any!

Books Read in February 2025 

  1. No One Will Save Us: A Reimagining of the Atlantic Slave Trade by Julie L. Brown (received for review from LibraryThing)--I'm so glad I asked to review this because I don't think I ever would have seen it otherwise, and I absolutely loved it. This is the inspiring, educational, and just freaking awesome alternate history we need. The warrior women of Kana (the primary of multiple cultures in what we would call Ghana that Brown brings to life) stop the Atlantic slave trade in its infancy--even traveling to Virginia to bring their people and others back home, and allying with the Powhatans along the way! If you're looking for a satisfying, hopeful (but still realistic about physical and political difficulties) work of fiction right now, I would highly recommend this!
  2. Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin (Book club read)--This has been on my TBR for years and has enjoyed so much popularity, so I was glad to finally read it. I see what everyone sees in it--it is a beautiful ode to friendship and nice to see that relationship be the central focus of the book; furthermore, the immersion in the video game world is extremely timely, and I hope we see more books like this that capture the actual culture and art of the current generation(s) that grew up on video and computer games. 
  3. Sipsworth by Simon van Booy (Other book club read)--This restrained fable about an older woman and a mouse just wasn't what I was looking for right now, but it's well-written and definitely spoke to the other members of my book club.
  4. Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott (Another book club read)--I think this was my favorite read of the year so far. It's been on my TBR for a couple years, but I'm actually glad I read it now, because it really fit the present moment for me. Building on the Slavic and Jewish folklore around Baba Yaga (who I had a brief obsession with as a kid), Nethercott follows a brother-sister pair of her descendants who inherit her iconic hut on chicken legs. It's a story about running, inherited trauma, and the stories we tell ourselves--and how just because our grandparents' stories went a certain way, doesn't mean we don't have the power to write our own stories, that if we choose, we could stay and fight, instead of run. Another book club member called it "the most Jewish story we've read," and although I think people who aren't Jewish, especially immigrants and the descendants of immigrants to America, could definitely relate, I concur that there is something about the way American Judaism is at this present moment that Nethercott handily encapsulates.
  5. Stay Awhile by Chrissa Rose--Cute grumpy-sunshine, all the tropes romance with an MMC that is definitely too good to be true, but who cares?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didn't

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish! I had to go back to my anticipated books of 2015 to remember this! Looks like the winners are: 1. The Mechanical by Ian Tregellis 2. Get in Trouble by Kelly Link 3. The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente 4. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear 5. Armada by Ernest Cline 6. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin