Skip to main content

Books Read in March 2024

Now that I have my laptop back, I'm reading less than I was without it (lots of Netflixing to make up for), but I'm still in a rather solid reading spree, which includes several other slower (nonfiction and poetry) reads that I'm reading alongside the faster genre fiction reads. I read all of my March book club reads, except one I couldn't get out of the library in time, in February, and so far still working on most of my April reads. Can I continue to keep up with four book clubs? We'll see! 

Books Read This Month

  1. Storm the Earth by Rebecca Kim Wells--There should definitely be more duologies. This one is just fun with nonstop action, adventure, and dragons, plus an NBD bisexual protagonist, which I'm always glad to see more of.
  2. Double the Lies by Patricia Raybon--Mystery centering a Black, Christian woman detective in 1920s Denver--I found this on the recommendations table at the library, which has really been paying off for me lately! Would recommend--it has some content on early aviation and surprise Jewish interest content as well. This is apparently the second in a series. 
  3. The Woodland Stranger by Jane Buehler-- (LibraryThing review) I was excited to see another Sylvania book available for review from LibraryThing--I enjoyed The Village Maid a couple of years ago, and I liked this one even better. The Sylvania books are set in a world with fairies and other magical folk alongside people; the two books I've read take place after the largely peaceful overthrow of the monarchy in the first book. This one is a sweet cozy M/M romance where they spend most of the time journeying in the woods. It had very Monk/Robot vibes for me until the last bit, which gets exciting but is all ultimately okay. The romance is smutty as it is sweet, though less than The Village Maid, and it has more of an overarching plot. I'd definitely read another one; it's the perfect mind break. 
  4. The Exception to the Rule by Christina Lauren--Fun, quick romance novella I heard about from Jana at That Artsy Reader Girl. I borrowed it from Kindle Unlimited.
  5. King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo--Finally tore through this as I seem to all Bardugo's books. I love Nikolai and Zoya so much as characters and getting to learn more about them--Nina's story is very separate but I love and want to read about her enough that it's ok! Also a Kindle Unlimited read--I was wondering why such a popular book was available, and then I realize the second in the duology isn't ofc. (Wow, I'm reading two duologies this month!) Still, really good value at nearly 600 pages each!
  6. People Love Dead Jews by Dara Horn (Book club read)--I wouldn't have chosen this to read right now, but I'm glad I did. It's safe to say I had a lot of feelings. It's a surprisingly quick and easy read--I purposely read it only one chapter or so at a time and only during the day--but based on length, I could have read it in a couple hours. The content is upsetting to me for obvious reasons. I don't know if I would recommend this book to non-Jews because I don't know if it could possibly hit the same for a non-Jewish audience although I wish it could. For Jewish people, it provides the comfort of being seen, if little else. 

Comments

curlygeek04 said…
I want to read the book by Dara Horn -- as a Jew, anti-semitism is definitely a concern, and this sounds like a good approach to the subject. Thanks for the recommendation.

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didn't

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish! I had to go back to my anticipated books of 2015 to remember this! Looks like the winners are: 1. The Mechanical by Ian Tregellis 2. Get in Trouble by Kelly Link 3. The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente 4. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear 5. Armada by Ernest Cline 6. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin