- Bird Summons by Leila Aboulela-Muslim, Scottish interest, magical realism, interesting but not my jam except for the bird king stories (liked the Bird King better)
- The Village Maid: A Fairy-Tale with Benefits by Emily Jane Buehler-received for review from LibraryThing, fun fantasy romance-- very open-door.
- The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict--did not know the story of Einstein's first wife or that he had more than one, very interesting, credits her with theory of relativity which might be true and she at least very likely assisted with calculations
- Amulet by Kazu Kibuishi--graphic novel for the class I'm teaching. Good for an elementary school reading level, although it does have some sad stuff (dead/incapacitated parents).
I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Comments