Skip to main content

Movies/TV Shows That Would Have Made Amazing Books

It's hard to think of movie/TV shows I like that weren't books first! It feels like books are generally the litmus test for other media, so it's interesting to think of going the opposite direction. That has worked with some popular franchises like Star Trek and Star Wars--I also think Firefly and Buffy the Vampire Slayer have been novelized, if I'm not mistaken, so I guess it does go both ways. I've tried to come up with a few shows/movies that at least I think didn't have literary predecessors!

Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Topic idea from Sabrina @ Notes From a Paper Plane Nomad.

Devi and Ben from Never Have I Ever
Movies/TV Shows That Would Have Made Amazing Books

  1. Monk--I've been watching this lately since it came to Netflix--I think police procedurals generally work better on TV, but Monk is so in his head and the show is more about the how/why than who, so books might be fun.
  2. Romantics Anonymous--I really love this movie, and since the protagonists both have social anxiety, a book could show us more of their thoughts and character. Plus, descriptions of chocolate!
  3. Charmed--I think both the original and Netflix series would work well as YA supernatural books.
  4. Gilmore Girls--I could see these delving more into just Lorelai and Rory (and/or Emily) or maybe more citizens of Stars Hollow. 
  5. Derry Girls--Books could help give a broader context of the times and environment. 
  6. The Good Place--Could be an interesting philosophical book. 
  7. Legends of Tomorrow--I realize this is sort of based on comic books but it's so far removed, I count it as its own thing. 
  8. Never Have I Ever--I definitely would have eaten this up as a book series--reminds me of a lot of YA books I read as an adult with diverse protags.

Comments

Stephen said…
Derry Girls is that netflix show set in the '70s? I was watching that one summer and got sidetracked by something else.
@Stephen--it's set in Ireland in the '90s--toward the end of the Troubles.
I haven't seen Legends of Tomorrow, but I love the idea of a book based on a movie that was based on comic books in general. Great list!

Here's my TTT this week: https://bookwyrmknits.com/2024/03/26/top-ten-tuesday-still-more-quotes-about-books/
Lydia said…
The Good Place would have made an excellent book!

Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

I would love a Derry Girls book. That's one of my favorite shows ever.
Lady In Read said…
I have Monk on my list as well, and agree with Never Have I Ever and the good place too. Gilmore girls has a set of books out based on the show ..
My post is here
Snapdragon said…
Monk is such a good show. It a show I will go back to again and again.

My TTT: https://snapdragonalcoveblog.wordpress.com/2024/03/26/movies-you-may-not-have-heard-of/

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didn't

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish! I had to go back to my anticipated books of 2015 to remember this! Looks like the winners are: 1. The Mechanical by Ian Tregellis 2. Get in Trouble by Kelly Link 3. The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente 4. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear 5. Armada by Ernest Cline 6. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin