Skip to main content

Books I'm Worried I Might Not Love As Much the Second Time Around

Usually, I don't reread a lot of books because I'm focused on what's next, or, these days, usually reading for multiple book clubs. There are some books that were very much of a place and time and I don't reread not because I'm afraid of not loving them as much but because I know I won't, because I've discovered upsetting things about the authors that damper my enjoyment of the books. I'm not going to mention those books, because that would be a different post. All of my most favorite books (LOTR, Dune) I've read more times than I can count, although I don't do annual rereads like I once did. So, I'd have to think of books I've both only read once and would at least theoretically be interested in reading again. However, I'll try to think of a few.  Happy Top Ten Tuesday!

Books I'm Worried I Might Not Love As Much the Second Time Around

  1. Tehanu by Ursula K. Le Guin--I remember really loving this but it has been many, many years since I first read it.
  2. Dawn by Octavia Butler--I actually may have read this more than once? But this was a seminal book for me in my childhood, so I'd be very sad if I didn't love it as much.
  3. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood--Ok, I actually did read this a second time more recently, and I remember it holding up---but I'm still kinda scared whether it would hold up to another reread?
  4. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood--I think I only read this once and I really remember loving it, but I wonder if it would hold up now.
  5. The Winner's Trilogy by Marie Rutkoski--I remember these being very good, but I only read them once.
What did everyone else think? Am I the only one who had trouble? I do think it was a great topic idea though because I've definitely had this feeling. 

Comments

Lydia said…
I feel the same way about Oryx and Crake.

Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.
Susan said…
I don't read much fantasy, so I haven't read any of these. I hope they don't disappoint if you do decide to re-read them.

Happy TTT!
curlygeek04 said…
I just read Dawn for the first time, and it was great! I do think Handmaid's Tale has held up well. I decided to focus on favorite children's books because those always feel different when you reread them as adults. Some of them I've definitely read more than once.
I only ever read the first of the Winners trilogy. I don't think I'm quite interested enough anymore to finish it.

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didn't

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish! I had to go back to my anticipated books of 2015 to remember this! Looks like the winners are: 1. The Mechanical by Ian Tregellis 2. Get in Trouble by Kelly Link 3. The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente 4. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear 5. Armada by Ernest Cline 6. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin