Skip to main content

Books Read in February 2024

Since I was still waiting on my laptop being repaired, I did a lot of reading this month. I also finished some books that I'd been savoring since 2023, and they were worth every minute. But, I got my laptop back just in time to make this post, so I can have pictures and descriptions, whooo! That said, I hope I can hold on to making more time to read as the year goes on.

 Books Finished This Month

  1. Promises Stronger Than Darkness (Unstoppable #3) by Charlie Jane Anders--I'd been reading this since November, putting it down and picking it back up again because I didn't want it to end. Like the rest of the trilogy and everything by Anders, it's brilliant, thoughtful, and creative. My favorite character was Wyndgonk, and I'm so glad that we got fire's point of view in this book, and I also loved the bit with translating the Grattna's language--I wish we'd gotten that for Wyndgonk's language as well. But of course my biggest complaint is that this trilogy is over, and I really, really hope I get to go back to this universe someday.
  2. Romantic Comedy by Curtis Sittenfeld--I bought a signed copy for an event when it came out, but I'd been hoarding it for a time when I needed it, and my laptopless state qualified. It did not let me down. It made me laugh, it did not make me cry, and it was altogether the softer, more mature, totally brilliant work of literature that I knew Sittenfeld had in her. 
  3. New Mutants: Lethal Legion (comic collection) by Charlie Jane Anders--Got a special signed copy all the way from Folio Books in San Francisco, and Charlie Jane Anders drew pictures of my dogs!!! I didn't read a lot of comics growing up, but I loved the X-Men TV show (which, is coming back?! thank goodness my husband is on top of this stuff!), and reading about a new generation of X-Men written by one of my favorite authors is so cool!
  4. Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie (Book club read)--I'd only read one Agatha Christie before this one, but I thought this one was hilarious, mostly because of the narrator's gossipy descriptions of others. 
  5. Deacon King Kong by James McBride--Somehow, every book by McBride is better than the last. I was surprised by how much this book moved me. The dialogue for all the voices is incredible and beautifully portrayed by Dominic Hoffman in the audiobook.
  6. Chaos Terminal (Midsolar Murders #2) by Mur Lafferty--We pick back up aboard Space Station Eternity with new troubles brewing and a new group of humans soon to arrive. I again enjoyed the aliens, the mystery, and the continued evolution of Tina. 
  7. Captive of the Stolen Empire by Megan Van Dyke (LibraryThing review)--Really enjoyed this interesting fantasy based in a world that reminds me of the Italian city-states post-Roman Empire, where some individuals have magical powers. I tend to have a lot of issues with captor/captive romances due to the power differential but this story managed to sidestep that issue and create a compelling narrative in addition to the romance. I would love to read a trilogy to learn more about this world, but it's a standalone for now.
  8. River of the Gods: Genius, Courage, and Betrayal in the Search for the Source of the Nile by Candice Millard (Another book club read)--Nineteenth century British men fool around in Africa and find out--hard to believe the harrowing situations they survive, and you don't have to feel too bad because they're largely terrible people, one of whom prominently backstabs the other when they get back home (metaphorically, in that case).
  9. Unorthodox Love by Heidi Shertok--I'd heard of this romance about an Orthodox Jewish woman who can't have children but is looking for love in her community, and I saw it at the library, so I checked it out. It's an enjoyable, readable romance that illuminates one type of more modern Orthodox community.
  10. The Conductors by Nicole Glover--This book was so good! I picked it up from one of the staff recommendation displays at the library when I came in to pick up holds. I would never have found it otherwise, so it really speaks to the value of staff recommendations and library browsing. A magical post-Civil War story (but with flashbacks) about two former Underground Railroad conductors who solve murder mysteries in Philadelphia.
  11. Bad Summer People by Emma Rosenblum (Book club read for March)--This book is exactly as advertised! It takes place during a summer on Fire Island and follows the community of wealthy people who summer there. I usually don't like books that center "bad people" but this one was funny enough that I was engaged even though I didn't really like any of the characters--except the one that gets murdered. A fun light (I promise!) read. 
  12. Drowning by T.J. Newman (Other book club read for March)--This one is nonstop action and would probably make for a good movie a la Poseidon/The Poseidon Adventure. It's about an airplane that makes an emergency ocean landing near Hawaii, and it has all of those interesting details about what that would be like plus a group of stereotypical but still sympathetic characters that you're rooting for--especially the deep-sea welder mom who's determined to get her kid back. Recommended if you like thrillers, quick reads, airplanes, and/or submarines. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didn't

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish! I had to go back to my anticipated books of 2015 to remember this! Looks like the winners are: 1. The Mechanical by Ian Tregellis 2. Get in Trouble by Kelly Link 3. The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente 4. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear 5. Armada by Ernest Cline 6. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin