Skip to main content

Books I Read in September 2026

 It's that time again! Reading was a lifesaver in September, and I'm already on a good reading streak for October. Let's hope I have even more time to chill and read as the fall continues.

Books I Read in September 2026

  1. Light from Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki--This is one of the most unusual books I've ever read, and not just because the protagonists are respectively an alien, a woman who's made a deal with the devil, and a trans violin prodigy. I enjoyed it, even though parts of it are extremely dark, and other parts of it I didn't fully understand. The alien parts are my favorite, but this is also a book that really made me think about the nature of good and evil, and left me with no answers but a reminder to always look deeper and beyond what I think I know. 
  2. A Fellowship of Curses & Cats by J. Penner--I wasn't sure about this one from the description but J. Penner never misses for me. She continues to explore the established cast from the first book, coming back to Theo, who is now about to be a father. He drinks a potion to quell his anxiety and ends up triggering an avalanche of cats following him around. Watching how he and the group deal with this development was entertaining, comforting, and deeply healing. 
  3. A Fellowship of Academics & Arts by J. Penner--This time, Penner uses the birth of Arleta and Theo's child as a frame for Verdreth to tell the story of how he and Ervash met, exploring the fantasy world further beyond the town of Adenashire. Verdreth and Ervash's story is as cute and relatable as every other in the series, and we get an even better sense of how they've developed into the orcs they are in the present time.
  4. Accomplice to the Villain by Hannah Nicole Maehrer--The slow burn finally pays off a bit in this third book, and it's as laugh-out-loud funny and twisty as ever. I'm hoping to read the fourth book soon--quite the cliffhanger!
  5. Dungeon Crawler Carl by Matt Dinniman--I finally got in on the hype. As promised, a fun, propulsive read about a guy who finds himself in a real-life D&D scenario--I also see hints of a larger intergalactic plot--my prediction is this will widen out to a more Hunger Games-type scenario but we'll see. I have a few more books to go before I'm caught up with the current state of the series--maybe I'll even get lucky and not finish them till they're all out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...