Saturday, May 12, 2012

Books/Series I'd Read to My Children

This is NOT an official Top Ten Tuesday topic, but it is based on that format. I got the idea for this topic from Anna at Diary of an Eccentric.

Lest anyone get ideas, I'm not planning to procreate anytime soon, but getting to share books with kids is one of the few excitements I perceive in potential motherhood. Luckily for me, I'm going to get to teach a reading and writing workshop for kids this summer, and while I haven't decided everything we'll be reading yet, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler is definitely on the list.

1. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg

Other books by E.L. Konigsburg

2. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

The rest of the Time Quartet by Madeleine L'Engle

3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter 2-7 by J.K. Rowling

4. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

5. Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

The Long Secret by Louise Fitzhugh

6. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

7. The Giver by Lois Lowry

8. Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Everything else by Sharon Creech

9. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

The Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery

The Emily trilogy by L.M. Montgomery

10. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Little Men and Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott

An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott

11. Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

12. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Phew. My kids will be some well-read little pedants. Here's hoping!

1 comment:

Biblibio said...

Oh boy, I've been coming up with a similar list the past few months, the moment I discovered my little bookworm cousin would let me read to him. My list has quite a bit in common with yours (Time Quartet, The Giver, Harry Potter, Narnia and Little Women are all definitely high on my list), but then there are a bunch of others: The Wonderful O, the Chrestomanci books, Bartimaeus, Gunnerkrigg Court, my abridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo, ... Okay, this list is going to clog the comments form so I should probably stop... but it's a truly remarkable sign of humanity's achievements that we have so many wonderful books to choose from!