Skip to main content

Books/Series I'd Read to My Children

This is NOT an official Top Ten Tuesday topic, but it is based on that format. I got the idea for this topic from Anna at Diary of an Eccentric.

Lest anyone get ideas, I'm not planning to procreate anytime soon, but getting to share books with kids is one of the few excitements I perceive in potential motherhood. Luckily for me, I'm going to get to teach a reading and writing workshop for kids this summer, and while I haven't decided everything we'll be reading yet, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler is definitely on the list.

1. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg

Other books by E.L. Konigsburg

2. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

The rest of the Time Quartet by Madeleine L'Engle

3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter 2-7 by J.K. Rowling

4. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

5. Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

The Long Secret by Louise Fitzhugh

6. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

7. The Giver by Lois Lowry

8. Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Everything else by Sharon Creech

9. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

The Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery

The Emily trilogy by L.M. Montgomery

10. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Little Men and Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott

An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott

11. Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

12. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Phew. My kids will be some well-read little pedants. Here's hoping!

Comments

Oh boy, I've been coming up with a similar list the past few months, the moment I discovered my little bookworm cousin would let me read to him. My list has quite a bit in common with yours (Time Quartet, The Giver, Harry Potter, Narnia and Little Women are all definitely high on my list), but then there are a bunch of others: The Wonderful O, the Chrestomanci books, Bartimaeus, Gunnerkrigg Court, my abridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo, ... Okay, this list is going to clog the comments form so I should probably stop... but it's a truly remarkable sign of humanity's achievements that we have so many wonderful books to choose from!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...