Skip to main content

Top Ten Favorite New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2012

The Broke and the Bookish host Top Ten Tuesdays.

Top Ten Favorite New-To-Me Authors I Read in 2012

1. Ian Tregellis

One peek got me not only to read a book (The Coldest War) I'd had no intention of reading, but review it.

2. Eva Stachniak

From way back in January, I knew The Winter Palace was one of the best books I'd read all year.

3. Katherine Longshore

I thought Gilt was so fresh and funny, and it defied both my disappointment with the oversaturation of Tudor fiction and my annoyance with the YA voice.

4. Sophie Perinot

She took less recognizable historical figures and both contextualized them well and made them into real people. Plus, The Sister Queens had very applicable lessons about human relationships, historical and present.

5. Catherynne M. Valente

I thought the first Fairyland book was quirky and adorable, was less enthused with the second, but definitely want to go back and read her adult books now. I've never read anyone who uses language quite like her.

6. Ernest Cline

I don't know how he could top Ready Player One, but I'll always love and respect him for it.

7. R.D. Blackmore

I have a thing for nineteenth century Brits. Lorna Doone is his best known, but I'd read more of his stuff.

8. Barbara Schapiro

The Art Forger grew on me a lot the more I thought about it. I'd read her again just to read about Boston, but her language and themes also have this sort of really enjoyable delicacy and subtlety to them that too few mysteries have.

9. Markus Heitz

The Dwarves is some of the best, darkest fantasy I've read since LOTR. I will definitely be following up.

10. I can't think of anyone else who is honestly a favorite now, so I'll leave one to grow on.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ready Player One is my next audiobook. I am so excited! I have heard it's great.
New follower! I'm actually not familiar with any of these, but I'm always looking to find new authors.

Check out my TTT.

Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know
Just finished listening to the audio book of Ready Player One a few weeks ago. Amazing! I thought perhaps I was the last person on earth who hadn't read it, lol! I'm so glad I chose the audio book as Wil Wheaton makes it all come alive. Great stuff. Definitely one of my favorites of the year.
Carl V.-I'm glad you enjoyed Ready Player One! Wil Wheaton is so appropriate to voice it-I still have to listen to his audiobook version of Red Shirts by John Scalzi.
Although I've already read it I checked the audio version of Fuzzy Nation out of the library the other day so that I could listen to Wheaton's reading of it.

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge