Skip to main content

Top Ten Favorite New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2012

The Broke and the Bookish host Top Ten Tuesdays.

Top Ten Favorite New-To-Me Authors I Read in 2012

1. Ian Tregellis

One peek got me not only to read a book (The Coldest War) I'd had no intention of reading, but review it.

2. Eva Stachniak

From way back in January, I knew The Winter Palace was one of the best books I'd read all year.

3. Katherine Longshore

I thought Gilt was so fresh and funny, and it defied both my disappointment with the oversaturation of Tudor fiction and my annoyance with the YA voice.

4. Sophie Perinot

She took less recognizable historical figures and both contextualized them well and made them into real people. Plus, The Sister Queens had very applicable lessons about human relationships, historical and present.

5. Catherynne M. Valente

I thought the first Fairyland book was quirky and adorable, was less enthused with the second, but definitely want to go back and read her adult books now. I've never read anyone who uses language quite like her.

6. Ernest Cline

I don't know how he could top Ready Player One, but I'll always love and respect him for it.

7. R.D. Blackmore

I have a thing for nineteenth century Brits. Lorna Doone is his best known, but I'd read more of his stuff.

8. Barbara Schapiro

The Art Forger grew on me a lot the more I thought about it. I'd read her again just to read about Boston, but her language and themes also have this sort of really enjoyable delicacy and subtlety to them that too few mysteries have.

9. Markus Heitz

The Dwarves is some of the best, darkest fantasy I've read since LOTR. I will definitely be following up.

10. I can't think of anyone else who is honestly a favorite now, so I'll leave one to grow on.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ready Player One is my next audiobook. I am so excited! I have heard it's great.
New follower! I'm actually not familiar with any of these, but I'm always looking to find new authors.

Check out my TTT.

Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know
Just finished listening to the audio book of Ready Player One a few weeks ago. Amazing! I thought perhaps I was the last person on earth who hadn't read it, lol! I'm so glad I chose the audio book as Wil Wheaton makes it all come alive. Great stuff. Definitely one of my favorites of the year.
Carl V.-I'm glad you enjoyed Ready Player One! Wil Wheaton is so appropriate to voice it-I still have to listen to his audiobook version of Red Shirts by John Scalzi.
Although I've already read it I checked the audio version of Fuzzy Nation out of the library the other day so that I could listen to Wheaton's reading of it.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...