Skip to main content
59. A Taste of Adventure by Anik See

Finally! Finally! I got in some pleasure reading! Anik See is a Canadian journalist who travels around the world on her bicycle and writes about her travels, the people she meets, and especially the food she eats. The book includes recipes for every place she writes about, including Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Patagonia (a region in southern Argentina/Chile), northern Argentina, Georgia, Iran, Turkey, Armenia, and Mexico. She seems to favor southeast Asia and South America and eschews traditional Europe.

The language is simple, and the book is a fun and easy read. For me, the book's biggest asset was See's choice of particularly exotic and unusual locations, and I naturally enjoyed the emphasis on food. I intend to make time to try out some of her recipes, particularly the curries from Malaysia and Indonesia, and her descriptions of Argentina and Chile gave me a yearning for dulce de leche and yerba mate.

Unfortunately, See uses similar effusions to describe each place, and after hearing her declare how she is forever drawn to Patagonia, no place moves her like southeast Asia, no place is more special than Iran-the praise falls flat. I have no doubt that See genuinely felt these intense, life-changing connections to all of these places, but as a reader, I am skeptical because as close as the book can bring me, I can't feel what she's feeling, and on the page, she just looks repetitive and insincere.

Her descriptions also take on too much of a tone of "explaining things to the outsider." I realize that is what she's doing, but I like travel writing to be more subjective, more tied only to one person's experience, because generalizations are so hard to make, and it takes a lot of study to really understand the history and culture of any society. Before she talks about Armenia, she mentions the genocide because she "feels she has to." In my opinion, she doesn't have to. It's a part of history I'm aware of, though that doesn't mean all her readers would be. I just think, instead of discussing it from a historical perspective, when she isn't a historian, she could have brought it up as a conversation between her and an Armenian. She mentions in her paragraph that none of the Turks she met mentioned it at all, while nearly every Armenian did.

She also said something about how Canadians feel defined by their big neighbor to the South, and I didn't really think that was true at all. Maybe they feel it a little bit, but I actually think Canadians are much better liked and respected in the world at large, so I don't know why she would suggest they have an inferiority complex. Of course, I wouldn't be an expert on that. I'm American and I've been to Canada a few times and know some Canadians, but that's it.

For those interested in food and travel, this would probably be an interesting book. It could have been better written, and I hope to find similar books by better writers in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didn't

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish! I had to go back to my anticipated books of 2015 to remember this! Looks like the winners are: 1. The Mechanical by Ian Tregellis 2. Get in Trouble by Kelly Link 3. The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente 4. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear 5. Armada by Ernest Cline 6. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin