Skip to main content
61. Edward II by Christopher Marlowe

The last read for Sixteenth Century was intriguing when discussed, but relatively disappointing in reading. Other than a bit of Dr. Faustus and Hero and Leander , this is the first Marlowe I've read. I've heard such favorable comparisons with Shakespeare, but this play at least did not exemplify half the wit or character depth of the Bard's oeuvre.

I find the actual history of Edward II riveting. He was a blatant homosexual, who gave his beloved, Piers Gaveston, all the titles and money he wished for, arousing the ire of his barons. The "noble peers" overthrew the king, killed Gaveston, his ignored and ill-treated queen, Isabella, turned against him in exchange for the love of the usurper Mortimer, and the king was ultimately executed with a red-hot poker thrust through his bowels. When his son, Edward III, came of age, Mortimer was executed and Isabella imprisoned for life. This much is TRUE. What could you do with this as a play?

Marlowe leaves it pretty much at that though, except speeding up the time line, jumbling events a bit, and adding in a few characters. His Isabella is interesting to look at psychologically, she starts out as very sympathetic and remains loyal to the king even when he spurns her. Then, she begins plotting against him and accepts Mortimer's love. Well, can you blame her? Gaveston especially, but Edward as well, start out as pleasure-obsessed and a bit thuggish, but get sympathetic when they're oppressed and executed. Is Marlowe saying that situation determines character?

But the dialogue is only okay, it has its moments, but...in comparison to Shakespeare, even the history plays, I wasn't impressed.

62. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

This beautifully written literary thriller pulls you in and invites you into the exciting literary underworld of Barcelona. Zafon plays with my heartstrings when he describes the Cemetery of Forgotten Books and its concept, the secondhand bookshop where the main character Daniel lives and works, and the fabulous pen that once belonged to Victor Hugo. I'm also a sucker for books within books.

Despite all this, the mystery is predictable and the characters, except for the main character, not as well drawn as I would like or as I suspect Zafon could make them if he tried. Daniel is our young impressionable hero who discovers a mysterious book The Shadow of the Wind by Julian Carax, whose books seem to be disappearing. The rumor is that a man goes around finding all Carax's books and burning them. Daniel is soon caught up in this and must investigate all over Barcelona to discover the true story of Julian Carax, who is burning his books, and why.

Zafon portrays a Barcelona that is overshadowed by the Spanish Civil War and still experiencing the aftereffects. Daniel's Barcelona is not a safe place, and this is significant to remember. There is also a message about the importance of literature, which could have been stronger. Movies are popular and television is just arriving on the scene, but the mentions of it are at moments where they just seem to occupy space and sound too deliberate. Read The Shadow of the Wind for fun, not for substance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...