Skip to main content
2. A Tangled Web by L.M. Montgomery

A Tangled Web is one of my favorite books, certainly one of my most frequently read. Since I didn't bring my copy with me to Spain, I was happy to find it for free online, at Project Gutenberg Australia.

The Darks and Penhallows are an idiosyncratic clan living on Prince Edward Island. Aunt Becky, or Mrs. Theodore Dark, nee Rebecca Penhallow, the "not particularly beloved" head of the clan is the owner of the old Dark jug, a hundred year old artifact with sentimental value, though some want it for prestige within the clan or because they feel they deserve it through descent. Aunt Becky decides to have her last fun "this side of the grave" and leave the jug with a trustee for a year, along with an envelope containing a name, or instructing him to choose according to certain criteria. The book covers Aunt Becky's announcement, and then the year after her death and the extraordinary happenings among the clan because of the jug. L.M. Montgomery has such a wonderful way of making each of her large cast of characters come to life. She can explain the motivations of a complex life in three sentences, and then spend a paragraph describing the moon. Oh L.M. Montgomery.

For me, it's just a very comforting book. I love certain lines and certain characters and I have fun imagining everybody. Give it a read if it sounds like your kind of thing.

3. All the President's Men by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein

This is of course an American classic. It should be required reading in schools. Before this, I in fact knew very little about Watergate, it happened before I was born. Basically, I knew that some guys with some connection to Richard Nixon broke into the Democratic National Party's office in the Watergate Hotel and were caught trying to wiretap the phones. This led to the resignation of Nixon, and jail time for several of his advisors. That's really all I knew.

I knew the media had played some role, but I wasn't aware of the huge role The Washington Post ("my" newspaper, by the way) played and how much their reputation risked on it. All the President's Men is written in a style that I found unlike most of my usual reads, though quite appropriate and what one would expect of two journalists.

The book starts off right as Watergate breaks and doesn't stop until all the "President's men" have been taken down. It does stop before Nixon's actual resignation. It is purely action-driven with not a moment of down time. There are few wasted words. I was surprised Woodward and Bernstein chose to write in the third person, but I think it was a good choice. It is amusing hearing about how the two originally disliked each other. Even that tension, which colors the story, is noted briskly, i.e. (my paraphrasing)"Woodward was like this and thought this about Bernstein, vice versa, and continue with the news." A list of characters and their roles and connections to Nixon is included, and my edition includes pictures also. I have the 2005 version, which was re-issued when it was revealed that W. Mark Felt, #2 FBI man, was Woodward's mysterious high-level informant, known in the book as "Deep Throat."


What makes all the journalistic intrigue better is the fact that it is true. It sounds crazy how Woodward and Deep Throat would meet. Woodward would signal by putting a red flag on his flowerpot, then take two taxis or walk part of the way to a garage where Deep throat might or might not meet him. Or, to signal a meeting, Deep Throat would circle the #2o on page 20 of Woodward's personal newspaper. But maybe I'm giving the good parts away.

It's just interesting to see the strategies the journalists use, some of which weren't ethical, in my opinion. They won the Pulitzer prize because they were right, but what if they were wrong? Taking on the most powerful men in the nation on corruption charges-that's a heavy thing, life-ruining if it couldn't be proved. I guess this is the book that has inspired many people to be journalists. I know it doesn't sound encouraging to me! I do admire Woodward and Bernstein and I enjoyed reading about what they did as a cohesive book. I wonder what it would have been like to follow their stories and then read the book. Probably very juicy. Recommended for fans of American politics or fast-paced novels in general.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...