Skip to main content

Trilogy Goes Up in Flame

30. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

31. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

I read The Hunger Games, the first book in the trilogy, a few months ago and have been eager ever since to read the remaining two books. This weekend, I went on a binge and read them both in a couple of days.

The best thing about this series, which did not disappoint in either of the sequels, is the protagonist's perspective. While I don't think a different perspective would have hurt and might have livened things up at points, Katniss Everdeen continues to be her cranky, fearful, dangerous, and unyielding self and I can imagine her having written every word. Collins has created a strong female character who is neither a bitch nor a Mary Sue, and that's an accomplishment in my book, besides damn entertaining. I'm not at all like her, but I can still relate to her.

I had a lot of guesses about how this series would go and I was right on most of them. There were a few twists I didn't see coming, one because it was awful and another because it was brilliant. Catching Fire was a disappointment in that its plot essentially repeats the same plot as the first book, which from my view was simply lazy plotting. I guess Collins decided not to mess with a good thing, but I think it dulled the impact and was unnecessary if not boring. Mockingjay is where the good stuff kicks in, and I saw the plot elements that I'd been dreaming of from the beginning. I couldn't wait for Katniss to find out that District Thirteen really exists and is mounting a rebellion against the Capitol. I saw that coming from a mile away, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good plot. It's exciting, a way to get Katniss out of her element, let us see her struggle with a new situation. And it's her reactions that the readers really care about.

The aforementioned brilliant twist occurs in Mockingjay, and it fit in so well, so amazingly with all the themes and messages of the book, it was the perfect trial for Katniss, that's all I'll say. But this is a book that is profoundly about manipulation and betrayal and its effects, and I love the celebration of rebellious nature that it encourages.

What you won't find in the Hunger Games series is a great deal of world-building. As an LOTR and Dune fan, this was disappointing. There are a few futuristic elements, like genetically mutated animals, and of course the political organization of Panem, and hints at the cultures of the different districts, but this is a plot-driven novel, missing the fine details that would make it a classic, for adults anyway. On the same note, while Collins does strive to color in some minor characters, we only really get to know and feel for the main characters, as opposed to other more detailed fantasy series. Overall, I would deem Collins' trilogy a fun, exciting read, but definitely YA.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...