Skip to main content

My Life In Books

Recently Finished:

16. The Syndicate by Shelena Shorts

I received the ARC for review at the Gaithersburg Book Festival. Vasi Petrescu is a member of an elite group called the Syndicate, which eliminates monsters called Hybrids that infect and take over human bodies. This is teen paranormal romance, emphasis on romance. Shorts is an author local to the DC area and this is her fourth book.

Currently Listening To:

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

I took a looong road trip and we managed to go through nine of eleven discs.

Gracelings are people born with special abilities, marked by two different colored eyes. In six of the seven kingdoms, the Graced are considered cursed and their abilities belong to the king, for his use or rejection. In the seventh kingdom, Lienid, the Graced are considered blessed and they belong to themselves.

Katsa is the niece of Randa, king of the Midlands, and she has a very particular Grace-killing. Forced to do Randa's dirty work and feared throughout the seven kingdoms, Katsa secretly forms a Council that works to thwart the abuses of the power-hungry kings. While carrying out a mission, she encounters a Lienid prince, Graced with fighting. Eventually, they become friends, a rarity for her, but she can't quite shake the feeling that there's something he's not telling her.

I love the concept of the Graced and the character of Katsa as she's envisioned-a woman with a gift for violence who must navigate between gender stereotypes and the fears and prejudices that her power brings. The whole world and the characters are truly inspired.

However, this book, especially in the beginning, is mind-numbingly predictable .The simple language and glaring clues as to the nature of relationships, character development, and plot devices take away from what could be a much deeper story. This is what I don't like about some YA books-the writing does not respect the readers' intelligence, it lays everything out in the open with repetitive exposition.

I have not quite finished listening, and I'm harboring hope that there will be some surprises left. The introduction of the character Bitterblue has greatly heightened my interest and investment in the story, especially as her presence changes Katsa into less of a warrior woman stereotype. We need strong female characters, but they need to be robust emotionally as well as physically in order to captivate audiences. Given the style of the writing, I'm also surprised how "adult" Katsa and Po's relationship gets.

In terms of the audio book cast, I don't normally listen to audio books, but I'm not *particularly* impressed. The narrator is fine, but I found the full cast audio unnecessary, and didn't really like the voice for Katsa. Still, it was an interesting experience to listen instead of read and I would definitely listen to an audio book again on a road trip, though probably not otherwise.

Currently Reading:

The Dwarves by Markus Heitz

This is on loan from a friend and I'm only about a quarter of the way through, but this may be one of my favorite reads of the year and is already going on the science fiction/fantasy literature list. Definitely for anyone who wants to know more about the Dwarves, why should Elves, Hobbits, and Men get all the glory?

Next Up:

Silver by Rhiannon Held

I received this for review from Tor Paperback Originals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...